Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Memefied again-- this time my purse is an open book

It is said you can tell a lot by a woman by the contents of her purse, which is why for years I didn't carry a purse or if I did it was the size of a ziplock sandwich bag and only contained my driver's license and a wad of crumpled dollar bills.

Kids change everything. Now I must carry a purse. I can't just hand my husband my driver's license so it's available on the off chance a waiter wants to card a 33-year-old woman. No I have to be prepared.

Six months ago, my purse looked like a piece of carry-on luggage, but now that my youngest is nearly potty trained (or so I dream-- my purse thinks she is, but my trunk says otherwise) I have gone back to carrying a small purse-- and today you will learn the contents of said purse because Super mommy (Sandy) tagged me. I'd link you, but I don't know how to. She'll probably comment, so click on her profile and visit her site. It's super funny.

Now about that purse.

This purse's sole duty is to carry receipts-- lots of them. I have 23 at present-- 15 long grocery receipts, two for shoes, three back to school variety, one for a Jacuzzi suite at the Oxford Suites (left over from my anniversary nearly a month ago), one for a oh- my- gosh- I- forgot- it- was- today- birthday present and one from the Dollar Store because I refuse to spend $8 for a gift bag. Why do I keep said receipts? Because I worked retail when I was in my early 20s so I know how important receipts are. Besides you never know when you might need to return a box of Captain Crunch.

The receipts serve another purpose-- to smother all items necessary to procure additional goods (my driver's license, credit card, bank card and on occasion checkbook).

This is my budgetary rational. If I can't find the cards, I can't spend the money or at least I have to think it over as I spill the contents of my purse (including all those receipts) onto the department store counter so I can find my bent-by-a-kid bank card and buy a new pair of shoes.

I rarely carry cash. I have 67 cents in my purse today (36 of which are pennies).

What else might you find? You won't find a pen or if you do it won't work. You might find a pencil or a crayon though because those seem to be easier to find in my house. Chances are the pencil lead is broken and the crayon is partially melted.

You'll find my fishing license because should I get stranded I don't want Fish and Game to fine me for feeding myself without the proper documents in place.

Now who to tag? Hmm? Kigo gal, Karmyn and Social Worker Frustrated Mom- have at it.
And finally I have a pink comb, two kid hair bobs and an old dried out wiper for emergency kid cleaning.

Come back tomorrow when I complete the Meme and actually post a photo. I have to work out the logistics as my camera battery is still not charged, and if I use a film camera, you'll have to return in 10 years see the picture-- because that's when I'll finally get around to developing the film

17 Comments:

Blogger Karmyn R said...

ooh - I've been tagged.

Now that my daughter is "officially" potty trained (yes, there are extra clothes in the car) my purse has gotten smaller too - and at first, I was all excited when I bought my new smaller purse, but then hated it, and have now come to accept it and grow fond of it.

but - I'll post about that when I complete your tag.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Babaloo said...

I keep all my receipts too, except for the ones I really need. Why is that?

3:39 PM  
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

Yipeeee! I love to be tagged!!!! I'm gonna get right on this one!

Your purse sounds like a fun place to go foraging for treasures! (I think of treasures as brightly colored paper clips, short stubby pencils, unusual notes or grocery lists from long ago, and the like. Hmmm, I sound like Templeton the Rat from Charlotte's Web!) :-)

6:43 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I like your tactic of burying your cards under receipts so you have to weigh the pros and cons of digging them out to buy something. Doesn't work for me though, I just end up pulling a wad of paper out to get to them.

I don't usually buy gift bags either, or if I do, I also hit the dollar store. I usually have a million bags laying around the house already. Is it tacky to re-use if the bag is in good shape? I've actually sold some at my garage sale for 25 each...

My hubby keeps my fishing license in his wallet since I generally don't bring my purse on the boat. But you bring up a good point. I guess I'm screwed if that happens...

6:45 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I cannot wait until my twins are potty trained...FREEDOM!

A little tip: When I get tired of carrying my purse, I just hand the big sack over to Kurt and force him carry it. He's secure enough in his masculinity to handle the stares, plus I think he'd rather endure the public scrutiny than a cranky wife.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Zephra said...

If you want to post a link there is a button when you are creating a post. It is next to the one that ou click on to post a picture. It is easy.

I have found that the older my kids get, the smaller my purse gets . I no longer need to carry half my house around with me.

7:50 AM  
Blogger kasamba said...

The worst is when the contents of your purse fall out all over the place and then everyone knows what junk you carry around!

4:49 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Terrific meme I will have to find the time thanks. Funny post and I know it's real so it's even funnier.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Sara with NO H said...

lol this was so great. I have reciepts in my bag too but not because I think it's important at all to keep them I just end up stuffing them in there when the lady doesnt put it in the bag. When you carry the big bag you always find like a piece of candy or something melted in the bottom and the reciepts come in handy to just sort of stick on top of it.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Saffron said...

hehe Oh so true - first time mum here and now I have a friggin suitcase instead of a handbag! How boring!! And it doesn't at all match my shoes or look cute like it used to. Ah well...

Why oh why can't it be a rule? The receipt should be put in the shopping bag rather than handed back to you. This is a pet peeve of mine - irritates me no end! Perhaps this should be part of shop attendant training or something. Is there a suggestion box?

9:13 PM  
Blogger the only way i know said...

Funny!
pennies should be outlawed!

just wanted to say a quick hello -
also to say - i just read the sept 11 post
and it was just above and beyond ..
i dont know the word...it wa just special - thanks..
have a good one!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

Okay I have a brand spanking new avatar and I want to try it out! hehehehe.

I've seen your purse and I think you have it about right what's in there! :) You didn't mention how teeny tiny your purse is either, it's really small folks.

11:41 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

lol.
although..contrary to some rumors..I dont have a purse..lol
I've spent many an hour searching thru my wifes to find something,
Funny thing is..shes usually soo organized..the purse seems to be the hidden..secret place where it's ok to be messy..
:-)

7:42 PM  
Blogger Sara with NO H said...

kesivah v'chasima tova!!!!!!!!!
A git gebentch yur!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May this year be filled with new beginings and awakenings and bottomless Prada bags.

6:58 AM  
Blogger kasamba said...

LOL!
I second Sarah!!!

12:15 PM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

soul-sista!!

I follow the same never-carry-more-than-can-fit-in-a-ziplock creed. I fact I swear by it. I refuse to carry a purse [unless I really have to of course]. If it fits in a jeans pocket it's good to go. So wedged in are my license & bank card (that's really all you need should you ever decide to hitchike across America spur-of-the-moment). My crumpled bills have got to be relatives of your greenbacks, no question abpout it. Guess it runs in the family that they're deigned to a life of being quashed between a magnetic strip, raised numbers and that horrible i'm-so-embarrassed-i-must-retake-that-picture [and cringe as the state trooper squints at your license with an intensity he shouldn't], in a warm, dark environment..poor things.

Not to worry,for the same price, they provide more pockets on jeans to hold loose change [and assorted crumpled gum wrappers at times..oh and safety pins-- never know when you may need one..] and mashed receipts.

(sure we haven't met bon??).

Down with purses.
Long live the ziplock rule!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Jennine said...

I'm rather mystified by the amount of people who carry around receipts of their purchases. I prefer not to have evidence of my spending habits in my purse.

In fact, I've started carrying a battery operated shredder in my vehicle.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home