Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Friday, August 25, 2006

An abridged Tale



It seems as if I went in a fog, I know I was there last week frolicking in the redwoods with my little girls, but it seems so distant today. I started grad school this week. I've been looking for a good preschool for my little ones.

Was my trip all just a good dream? What did I do in that dream?

Let’s see. I think I’ll go back and re-read Friday’s post so I can remember where I left off.

Oh yes, I think I’ll finish with the last of my messy business and then go onto the good stuff (or I'll do a short report on the good stuff because well it's boring mushy stuff).

While camping, I learned that all good deeds never go unpunished. I had just finished day one with my kids. We’d spent the day by a creek and I’d happily let them roll around in the sand and get all dirty. For my efforts, I was sandy, suburned, but relaxed-- and oh so content.

On the way back from the river, I met this old man who proved to me that chivalry still exists. You see, my husband had sent me with his better, more efficient camping equipment-- the tent I couldn’t set up and this one burner stove I couldn’t light. Not being shy, I hailed down the old man and asked for his help. He tried. Nothing happened. We read the instructions. We followed the instructions. Nothing. Finally we decided it just didn’t work. There must be a secret fireman’s code to get it to stay lit. But at least now I'd made a friend. He was nice enough to check up on me every once in a while and to shoo my 7-year-old back to my camp whenever she took to wandering in the forest.

And so, instead of using the stove, I went primitive and cooked over the campfire (for real). Way back when I was still young and all my parts hung out int he right places, I used to camp and cook over a fire. It was exhilerating to be that close to nature. Now, with kids I didn't want to do this because the girls my be their dad who loves to play with fire.

That night, I went to bed happy, knowing that I wasn't completely alone. This other person knew we were here --if the bears came in the night and ate us someone would notice before the stink set in.

Later that night I heard a growling noise. It was loud, rumbly and coming from inside the tent. Nikki’s tummy was apparently trying to eat her esophagus in her sleep. I should have let sleeping babies lie. She wasn’t asking for a sippy of milk. She wasn’t even awake, but I got this warm fuzzy good mother feeling and decided it would be a good to make her some Ovaltine by flashlight.

With flashlight in hand, I opened the trunk and the ice chest-- setting the flash light and keys on top of some newspapers ( don’t forget those keys, I thought to myself). And so I made the sippy, took out a jug of water in case the other two woke up thirsty-- and then I looked up at this amazing sky.

Way up there a million fireflies burned just for me-- wow.

And then I shut the trunk. "Beep beep" went my car, signaling that it was safely tucked in for the night. Did I mention my keys were still inside the trunk? Darn those auspicious stars!

Not to worry. I have roadside assistance through Subaru. And so, I snuggled between Abby and Nikki, knowing everything would be OK.

The next morning I got up early, wrote my roadside assistance information down and waited for the forest ranger to make his rounds. I didn’t have to wait long. This forest service employee (boy who looked like he’d spent too may days surfing) pulled into the bathroom lot and I ran up to stalk him as he came out.

I explained my dilemma and he said he’d call the ranger.

“Uh I can’t get a good signal,” he said. “Sorry.”
“Wait,” I said. “I don’t get cell service out here. Do you have a phone where you work?”
“Yeah, but I’m not going there right now,” he said.
“That’s OK I can wait,” I said. “If I give you the information, will you just call my roadside service and have them send someone out here. I can wait as long as I know someone is coming.”
“Yeah, I guess,” he said.
“Please, promise me you will not forget because I have three small children and we need your help,” I said.
“Yeah, I’ll see what I can do,” he said.
“Just don’t forget,” I said.
“Are you checking out today?” he asked.
“No, I’m leaving tomorrow,” I said.
“I’ve got you down for today because you owe $3,” he said.
“You didn’t have a campground host and I didn’t have change,” I said. “I went to the store last night for change, but it was late when we got back so I figured I’d settle up in the morning.”
“Well, I need that money or you have to leave by noon,” he said.
“I will -- if I have my keys,” I said. “Don’t forget to make the call.”

Moments later the ranger appeared on scene. I gave him my information and he said that apparently I didn’t have roadside service (which I do-- the receipt is in the glove box, but that is beside the point. I needed those keys.) I made the mistake of telling him how much cash I had on-hand (not that I think he is unscrupulous-- I just think he told the tow company-- who in turn charged me the exact amount I had on hand $140 for five minutes work).

But I had my keys-- yeah!

I drove the kids to Heddywoods State Park where we explored the redwoods.

We visited Casper Beach several times and I played with the girls in the waves, built sand castles and searched for sea shells and pretty rocks. We roasted hot dogs on Van Damme Beachduring the day and then returned at night to roast smores -- right there on the beach-- at night with the ocean breeze and a night sky that stretched to the edge of the Earth.

Other activities included: riding the Skunk Train, going to Glass Beach, Merkerricher State Park to visit the seals and visits/tours of a bunch of light houses.

Each one of these events could be a chapter or a post, but I know you all have busy lives so I’ll finished up with a short discussion on smores over the campfire.

I grew closer to my daughters around the campfire with the flames hypnotizing them into quietness. We talked like mothers and daughters should talk. We roasted marshmallows and I just let them do it. If they burned them, so be it. Blackened marshmallows are a delicacy, I said. It was so peaceful-- and in that moment surrounded by my loves, I knew I was doing something right. I am a good mother -- I think that is the first time I have ever thought that.

22 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

What a wonderful post -- you are a very vivid storyteller.

We just returned from a camping trip ourselves, albeit less rustic than your experience. We too had our share of mishaps and casualties, but we also made some wonderful memories!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Awesome, Bonnie. Darn those fireflies, indeed. You are an amazing mother. To even set out on an adventure like this with your kids...that told me you were a great Mom. I'm in awe.

And, I agree. Gorgeous photo.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

I am so impressed with you!!! That was a great story. sigh - My husband is gone for 10 days now and there is NO WAY IN HELL I am taking my children camping on my own. You deserve a prize!!! - a huge mommy vacation when your husband returns!!!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Sometimes cars are too smart for their own good!

What a special time for you and your children - lovely for you to appreciate what you do, too.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I'm sorry I laughed about the keys.
I thought that only happened when you get old.

I did it one night when the house was locked up tight, it was 40 below (kidding, but it was probably about 25) and I had to get the hubby to drive home in the firetruck to bring me the extra set

I was much younger then.

In a campground with those Fodwoxy guys, I would have come unhinged.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. Thank you.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

Awwwwww! I think you're a good mother, too!

9:20 PM  
Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

Hi Bonnie,
Thanks so much for visiting my site and for leaving such a wonderful comment. I appreciate it!

See you next time,
Andrew

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such a cute picture!

If I were you I would include a short story about riding on the skunk train- lots of possibilities for strong olfactory imagery in that one!

9:34 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

omg...what an adventure
my sons bought a tent..and set up camp in my living room..lol

12:28 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Sounds amazing you are super mom. It does see that good deeds go unfinished but somehow they are rewarded and we just don't seem to see the reward:(. I love that picture it is so adorable. I just need to pinch those yummy cheeks.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Blackend marshmellows ARE a delicacy and so is a good mother like you. What a trip!

5:41 AM  
Blogger the only way i know said...

great post
i'm not the sleeping in a tent type - but always admired those who were - like you :)
sounds great

12:34 PM  
Blogger but Momma said...

I keep going back and rereading your post because I can't find any bitching and complaining. ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY DOLLARS!?

That is Mother of the Year stuff, if I've ever heard it!

1:13 PM  
Blogger ggggg said...

wow, pretty long abridged tale! lol

6:16 PM  
Blogger Babaloo said...

Lucky, lucky lucky little girls you have! I hope they have your talent for writing so they can spin tales out of these childhood adventures you are providing!

140 freaking dollars? Gah!!!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

One of the last camping trips we did from the tent/back of the truck was a drive from San Diego to Canada. We stopped at the Redwoods and had such a blast that we ended up dragging my brother and family back up a couple weeks later.

That was prechildren, so we've got the perfect excuse to go back. ;)

9:31 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

You are all making me blush. Thanks for all the well wishes home.
Yes the $140 was ridiculous and I am completely unhappy about it mainly because I have roadside coverage and I don't think the ranger really called the company-- though I could be wrong. It coul dbe a problem with the company's records. Now I get to deal with them and maybe get $100 of it back.
I look forward to catching up on all of your blogs.

Oh as for the Skunk Train-- it would lend itself to funny imagery, and so I'll write a short thing on it tonight.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

I took pictures, but they aren't developed yet (my digital camera's battery died, so I had to buy an old fashioned camera). One one I posted, I took from my cell phone while I was at Casper Beach with the girls. I'll post them some day-- after I finally take the film in

10:25 PM  
Blogger Sara with NO H said...

My digital camera sucks up batteries in like half an hour. I always take a whole pack of them out when I know I want to take nice pics.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

Yes, you are most definately the mother of the year type, I am a not a sleeper in the tent kinda gal.

And I LOVED your column today. It was really good. :)

4:26 PM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

"...and a night sky that stretched to the edge of the Earth."



mmmm..wonderful imagery and great line!

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home