Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Honey I'm home

Did we get to where we were going? Did we find a place to stay or rot on the beach with the seaweed?
And so we were off to the races-- zooming for nearly four hours when I decided hmm? Things just didn’t look right. Where is the ocean? Where are the redwoods?
I was planning on staying at Navarro Beach or at Paul Dimmit Campground both of which are first come first served-- perfect for non planners like myself. When I arrived in Willits, I stopped in at a convenience store and just for grins asked where it was.

I swear I heard evil-sounding music playing in the background as the clerk smiled and said “it’s about a two-hour drive, but don’t worry it doesn’t get dark until nine o’clock.”

It was close to 6 p.m.

So I drive down the windy road from hell and swung in at every campground and asked for lodging. I now know how Joseph and Mary felt-- only I wasn’t in labor and I wasn’t riding on a donkey. No, I just had three hungry kids in the backseat who’d been riding for five hours. Such rejection.

One campground host gave me new directions, adding “Just don’t go over the bridge. Whatever you do don’t go over the bridge and stay on this side of the river.”

Now if you have ever been to Mendocino, you will know the two things it is not lacking in are bridges and rivers, so when I came to a bridge a half a mile up the road, I obediently turned around, drove for a while and then decided to try out every street on the right hand side.

I saw homes, woods, air ports, but no campgrounds with vacancies.

Then after saying some very unladylike words, I crossed the bridge. On the other side of the bridge was the answer to my prayers-- the street the campground was on (grrrr).

I got there just as the sun went down and promptly forgot how to set up my husband’s easier dome tent. I was used to doing construction when I set up my tent and he gave me something that just pops up. Finally I broke down and asked for help-- to which I heard “Where is her husband? What kind of woman goes camping without her husband?”

GRRRR! But they helped. There is a God and He heard my prayers.

And so I wiped up some oatmeal and sent the kids to bed.

It was a cold and balmy night on the Mendocino Coast-- so cold in fact that my children tried to use me for an extra blanket. Damn! Nobody told me it was cold here. I thought the coast-- warm in the day; chilly at night. Not-- must bring sweatshirts and real shoes. We are flip-flop and tank top kind of people during the summer. And so I must admit day one amounted to clothes shopping.

I think they should rename the area Spendocino because even the most basic sweatshirt costs $50 which I refuse to pay just so my kids could smear wet sand and marshmallows all over it.

Fortunately I found a Mexican imports store and bought the little ones sweat suits. My older kid wouldn’t go for it. Apparently the tween superficial enforcement agency has brainwashed her into name brand world of cool. She was destined for many chilly nights as I refused to bend to her ridiculous desire to wear O’Neil.

Three chilly days later she found an acceptable sweatshirt at a hip-looking souvenir shop-- either that or she was broken by the chill of night.

They wore those shirts until the shirts practically stood up on their own. Then I got a tip and went to Longs where we stocked up on sweatshirts and blankets-- does everyone in Fort Bragg shop at the pharmacy?

BTW Longs is apparently an acceptable clothing store for tweens because she didn’t even smirk when I threw the clothes, socks and underwear into the basket.

Underwear? You ask. Didn’t you bring underwear?

Yes, of course I did. But you see, nothing dries here in Fort Bragg either and I -- silly me-- left the spout open on the ice chest and it leaked all over my laundry (yes, mother I did laundry while on vacation-- it’s shocking).

Now Mendocino/Fort Bragg is known for its redwood forest, ocean and-- wine tasting? There are vineyards everywhere and I didn’t get a drop-- and boy did I need a drop.

The kids were too crispy for civilized people. We stayed near other crispy campers-- the ones I used to be afraid of when I went into downtown because I swore they were going to ask me for my spare change. Word to the wise-- they are just campers, poor shower-less campers and they all have soot on their faces and marshmallows in their hair.


Anyway you all didn’t come to hear about the pharmacy or weather habits of Fort Bragg/ Mendocino-- and quite frankly I don’t want to relive the weather, so I’ll break this up a little and will post more on Tuesday-- as well as catch up on reading blogs.

As soon as I get pictures I will post them too. I'm horrible historian. My digital battery was DOA and I couldn't recharge it, so I took some pictures with my cellphone and bought a disposable camera (which died with seven pictures left to go. I think I got sand in it). If anything comes out alive, I'll post it.

It was a fantastic adventure. I had a great time-- promise. It’s mostly hugs and kisses from here on out.

16 Comments:

Blogger Secret Mommy said...

This sounds like a fun and mighty adventure.

:-)

glad you're back! I missed reading your blog!!!!!!!!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Sounds like a true adventure!

When I got to the part about sand and marshmellows in their hair - that 60's San Francisco song entered my mind. Just change the words around a little and put in Mendocino instead of San francisco!

hee hee

1:13 PM  
Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

Laundry - the perennial vacation challenge. I like your solution, just buy more :o)

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay

3:27 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Those morons telling ppl that a woman doesn't go camping w/o her husband grrrr is right. Tough start but you didn't give up. Can't wait to hear the rest. Love the way you tell your stories. It was hard to last w/o you for so long. So happy you are back:).

6:17 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

Glad you are home in one piece! Sounds like quite the adventure. You are one brave woman!!! And much more rustic than I. I have decided that I will NOT be going camping unless it's at a KOA with a real bed. :) Yeah, that's really roughing it I know. Chad has some camping gear on layaway but I told him I am not going that kind of camping. He may or may not be considering divorce at this point I am not sure. (hehehehe). So glad you are back!!!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Wow, rough start. Glad you were able to find some acceptable sweatshirts. That's our philosophy on vacation, if we forgot it and need it...just buy it there.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

Hi again,

Thanks so much for dropping by my site today and offering such a supportive comment for Snow White - I'm sure she needed some support.

Andrew

4:40 PM  
Blogger but Momma said...

Of course we came to read about the pharmacy and weather in Ft. Bragg. Why else do we come? Well, I guess we come for the smiles, and adjectives like crispy campers. :) Glad you're back!

7:44 PM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

crispy? yum! (so california:)

I know who to call on when I need a partner-in-crime er..adventure..


piiiiiiiiiiictures (pleeeease?).

10:56 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

First wrong turn, and I'd been heading home, for sure!!

You braveheart!
(did you paint your face blue, too?)

11:39 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

What an adventure! I used to love camping but couldn't imagine I'd be bold enough to do it alone. With kids. Good for you!

5:36 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I'll say it again...you are a BRAVE woman!

We're leaving for a cabin in northern Minnesota in about an hour, and I'm scared to death (and I'm even bringing my husband).

BTW, Kurt and I visited that area in California a few years back -- it's simply beautiful!

5:48 AM  
Blogger ggggg said...

Glad u had a nice time!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

stopped back by to tell you the locale of those pictures you commented on

The Columbia river sunset was taken from the Oregon side, looking into Washignton

The red orb sunset was in Washington = near our home

and the vinyard & flag were in Washingnton with the distant wind farm just over the state line into Oregon

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeh- its always cold on the pacific coast- it can be a bit suprising if you come from inland where its 104!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

,,,, just noticed your home Paradise

My brother and his wife live in Paradise, CA

If thats the town up above Chico?

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home