Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Images trapped in an ashy grave

For me it was a shoe- a brown woman’s flat with creases across the toe. On a pile of twisted steel and ash, surrounded by computer paper and smoke blowing in the breeze, it lay cast aside and missing its mate. The shoe was real-- the rest: too horrific for comprehension.

I’d never been to New York, and I’d never met her people. Her subways and fancy buildings were the things of movies. But the shoe I knew the shoe and the back of the firefighter’s helmets.

How many times had I searched the backs of helmets, looking for the familiar name “Sitter-- Co. 33,” my husband’s name? That day he was off fighting another fire. I knew he wasn’t there, but I still searched. It’s instinctive to read the helmets. There goes somebody’s son, somebody else’s husband and father into the tower. Good they’ll save those people. These men and women know no fear. I was so proud of them that day. These were the heroes who would make it all better.

What happened seemed incomprehensible.

The building fell. It wasn’t supposed to fall. In even the most terrifying nightmares there is still hope, but for the building to fall? Buildings don't fall and crush people. They don't. It couldn't be. The firefighters-- they were there. They were inside. The people-- all those people.

A scream-- what more could I do? I was just a helpless observer 3,00 miles away. It was helpless to tell them not to go, to stay out of the still standing, faltering tower. I knew no crumbling tower would deter them. They’d keep going because that is what they do-- their brothers and sisters were inside. It was personal.

Heroes possess this drive that makes them keep fighting. They store up their grief in little boxes and keep going-- how do they do it? What tears they couldn’t cry that day-- no time for tears or even a scream.

And I thought of all the grief-- so small compared to this-- that my own husband held deep within himself, managing to go on-- a 2-year-old who drowned in a septic tank, the truck full of teenagers whose truck flipped, mangled bodies for him to see, the couple who crashed on Humboldt Road. He was the first at scene that day, and he was so young -- 23? I think. The woman was begging him to help her husband, but he could do nothing. Grey matter was all over. The man was crushed, and my husband tried. He put on a show, but he knew he could do nothing, but for her he tried. He came home quiet. He does this once in a while. Never sharing what horrors he’d seen-- what people he couldn’t help.

And so I knew the firefighters would continue to run toward the burning crumbled building-- a desperate run toward what they knew would be their death. I knew they’d flood to the other one still standing but faltering. I knew because deep in their hearts there is so much hope, so much fight. They can save the day, right? They don’t crumble with the ashes. They don’t fall beside a discarded shoe of some unknown woman.

But they did.

And when they did, I imagined so many women searching the backs of the helmets-- only these woman weren’t hoping for a roadside wave or a glimpse of their loved one on TV. They were hoping for signs of life.

This was the day my children started sleeping with me-- though I really didn’t sleep for weeks because every time I closed my eyes I saw the shoe-- a woman’s shoe, comfortable and alone. I couldn’t see the towers or the helmets anymore. Those images were too painful. My mind couldn’t comprehend the Pentagon-- our nations first line of defense, the place that keeps us safe-- with a big hole burning. A field in Pennsylvania -- much too painful.

I could block all that out, but not the shoe. The shoe was personal, mundane and out of place in this surreal nightmare of planes flying into buildings, towers crumbling and twisted steel burning.

And so I slept with my Maggie-- though I didn’t really sleep. I tried not to shut my eyes because the shoe made it all real.




For other stories about September 11, please visit your fellow bloggers and share your memories. There is also a collection at www.bloggingchicks.blogspot.com.

23 Comments:

Blogger Babaloo said...

For me it was all the "missing" flyers that multiplied exponentially each day after the attacks.
Great tribute Bonnie. Your husband and all his counterparts throughout the country are truly amazing. I remember hearing on the radio a man who had escaped from one of the towers and on his way down he asked the fireman going up why he was going back up. The fireman said simply, "it's my job."

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely tributes to the heroes of 9/11 and the heroes of every day, Bonnie.

3:32 PM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

i was at ground zero the other day..they put up an outdoor exhibit of photos. massive ones. so the images are even starker. one that stopped me was a man holding a cardboard sign. his face was devoid of any real expression (obv. how else can you stand among ashes and mangled parts and block yourself off from emotion) i forget the exact wording (i took a pic to post it got erased:( but it said something to the effect of 'room available for family'.

simple. to the point.
and heartbreaking that it takes a national tragedy to pull us all together (katrina/tsunami etc.) when we could implement these acts of selflessness [even a tiny bit] into our daily lives.


thanks bon for saying it so well :)

3:40 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

great post.
..... made me close my eyes - and fight the tears and the ache that fought upwards into the back of my throat....


As wife of retired firefighter.. been there, done that.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

waya-- you are so right

babaloo-- the flyers those got me. So many lost people-- I can't imagine not knowing and searching

kvetch-- thanks-- and hello-- it's good to hear from you

flor-- I am honored to have such an eloquent comment in my section-- so beautiful. I wish I had written it

pamela-- I send a thousand hugs your way because I know you've been there; done that-- and probably needed at least a thousand when he was off playing hero with the best of them. Thank you so much for your comment.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

This was a very nice tribute. Very well written, of course. The whole 9/11 scene is scary and full of sorrow and sadness that is beyond words. I am very nervous for tomorrow and hoping we don't have any new attacks, i always get very nervous on the anniversary. 5-years feels like a big one and gives me a stomach ache....thanks for this post though, you summed it up nicely. As always.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Tomorrow I'm going to take my kids to their first day of "school" and try to make it a "normal" day.

But I'm going to wear my American Flag pin over my heart, and I'm going to walk into the building that I was in when I heard of the attacks. I'll probably shed a tear or two, hopefully when my kids aren't looking.

But I'm going to go about my life. Because that's what I wish all those who were lost could be doing as well.

I also wrote a 9/11 remembrance post...
http://coolzebras.blogspot.com/2006/09/nyc911and-pre-911-photos-from-1979.html

8:26 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Really touching and beautiful expression. You made it very real, that's why you are a writer:).

8:43 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Oh Bonnie - I have tears in my eyes. That was absolutely wonderful. Thank You.

9:21 PM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

:mad blush:

(see? you *are* a good writing teacher..)




(off topic but interesting-- my sister [a teacher] has no morning classes today as Bush will be going to visit dignitaries [fire fighters mainly] in a building down the block from her school..they'll close off the entire sqaure block for a while, then he'll head to ground zero..exciting times we live in:)

2:22 AM  
Blogger Anna Venger said...

Beautifully written, and you know the pain of women whose men are heroes by nature, you understand how the hearts of heros and those who love them work. Thank you for sharing this.

5:22 AM  
Blogger kasamba said...

I can't even imagine what it must be like to be married to a firefighter in these crazy times.



What you've written really touched me.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Mia said...

I remember that photo the one with the shoe. It made me cry when I saw it. My little brother is following in our cousin's foot steps and becoming a fire fighter. We lost him on 9.11. It's funny how once upon a time my little bro looked up to me and now it's him that is my heroe. Your post was beautiful.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Zephra said...

That was simply beautiful. You made me cry. Bless you husband for what he does.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

That's a very well written post. I enjoyed it.

And thank you so much for visiting my site and for leaving such a nice comment. I appreciate it!

All the best,
Andrew

5:28 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

wow..wow
No words to describe how this touched me..
Theyre all such heroes
Give ur hubby a hug from me...

6:30 PM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

What a sad day. Senseless deaths by humanless people.

8:45 PM  
Blogger but Momma said...

Beautiful Bonnie Boo.

Hugs for you and your Firefighter.

1:22 PM  
Blogger smb said...

beautiful tribute

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was very good, bonnie.

I am, for once, at a loss for words, so I'll just put a few up there, in no particular order..

Angry
Honored
Hopeful
Afraid
Helpless
Sad
Frustrated

Side note, now I can't comment on your blog. Go figure.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonnie, that was very close to the heart for you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and memories. Thank you.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

So beautifully written... I give thanks for men and women like your husband every day.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Bonnie, I tagged you. Check out today's post...oh, and find your purse!

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home