Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Part Two: How do I do it? You asked. And now I really have answered.

And so---

I have put the kids in lock down.It is late July and the first signs of Summeritis have set in.

While out camping, I realized the symptoms-- the whining, the hysterical crying, constant irritability, insomnia and a fear of being touched by siblings. Oh but it is much more serious than I first thought, not only do they not understand a word I say to them but that they don't follow hand signals either-- perhaps I should get them tested for something else.

I also discovered the reasons I have been forsaking my cozy bed (that I never get to sleep in) for the hard cold mountain ground and a sleeping bag (I don't get to sleep in either).

It is because:
A.) the whininess of end of summer boredom compacted with the incessant fighting has made me crazy

B) the incessant boredom causes them to destroy my house and make it uninhabitable.

C) I'd rather be in association with wild beasts who could cart my children off in the night than to have to look at their messy rooms and to have to clean my house.

When I am away, I know my house is clean-- no one is throwing their wet bathing suit on the wood floors or coloring on the retaining wall outside.

And so, realizing that neither my house nor their rooms would get any better, I decided to put them on lock down (besides the outside of the house was not exactly clean either). This little problem needed containment.

I needed to quarantine the kids lest they infect others.They have offically become my prisoners of war.

First rule: prisonization. To do this, I decided to take God's advice and teach my children about the Golden Rule (do unto mother before she does unto you). Scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. No, honor your mother (BINGO).

Here is how it goes: if they want to eat, they must set the table and clear it (otherwise -- the kitchen is closed). If they want to go outside, the inside must be clean first. If they want to come inside, the otside must first be cleaned (I'll change that because then they'd never come inside). If they want to come inside and keep their bike, the outside must be clean and the bike off my pre-sod lawn. If they want me to take them somewhere or do something with them, they must treat me with respect.

Second rule: Time off for good behavior/ rewards. The rewards are great for those who assimilate quickly, but unlike prison, they don't get $1 an hour for laundry duty and making license plates. No, I took away allowances. Yes, the sweet sound of pennies in a jar didn’t work.

In the past, allowance was optional and grandma -- the goddess of item procurement-- was just a phone call away.

But not any more. The phone lines have been cut. If they want to eat and to earn their state mandated hour of outdoor recreation per day, then they must follow the rules.

Control is now completely in the hands of the Maternal Dictator--- HAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, but don’t worry. The little darlings are no suffering too much, and they are enjoying the benefits of assimilation.

The other day, they helped me clean the house by picking up their sh--stuff and by following the guidelines for getting food. We went to Baskin Robins and I didn't make them get the kid scoop-- no they got milkshakes.Then Sunday, as a surprise reward for cleaning their rooms, we were going to go to family swim night, but to be honest, they forgot the respect your mother part as we got into the car (so I made them wait until yesterday afternoon).

Have I had it?

Oh yes. I cannot manage this house without their help. I'm outnumbered.

I can't.

I won't.

And so that is how I am.

Any questions?

19 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie B said...

This is an extreme situation. It has been a hard summer because I have been so busy. Their "rottenness" is partially my fault as they are doing what ever they can to get my attention. I'm starting to rethink grad school this year. I just don't know if I can do it all without my husband. But I'm holding on for now and hoping the tide will turn once summer school is over. Nothing like cramming two semesters of Spanish into less than eight weeks! What was I thinking?

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can be the maternal dictator as long as you don't make them do any silly marching or saluting.

Summer will be over before you know it. ;)

8:20 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Ammashav--no, I am only teaching them markertable skills in the hopes that one day they will find a job (laundry folding, book filing, dishwashing, table busing-- as well as excavation, demolition and restoration skills-- oh yes, and communication and debating skills)

8:30 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I am proud, you are doing just fine. I gotta follow you.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Babaloo said...

Kiddie lockdown. You gotta love it! I have tears of admiration and joy. GOOD FOR YOU!

9:43 AM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

..a bit early on my part, but where do I sign up for basic training ma'am?

1:21 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Sounds like a good plan to me - I may borrow some of your moves!!! Now if only I could get myself into motivational gear...I'm about as bad as the kids right now...all I want to do is blog (hee hee)

1:29 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

ALRIGHT! Seriously, once you get your kids whipped into shape can I send mine over for some basic boot camp training? These kids of mine need your discipline and bad! Especially Connor, OY.

AND, if you decide to delay grad school for a year you can always go to night school with moi and take some online classes with me. Just a thought...

7:05 AM  
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

Good for you! Your plan sounds lovely to me!

(Oh, and if you worry that you're being too harsh.... Not a single one of your new rules sounded any different than the FULL TIME YEAR ROUND rules in the strict (but also loving) house that I grew up in.) :-)

You're awesome!!!!!! (And your kids will love you for it. I can honestly say that I now appreciate all those rules my Dad had for me when I was a kid. Taught me a lot.)

7:56 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Wow. I wish that worked on 2 and 4 year olds.

Alas, I have to wait until they're a bit older (at least the just-turned-2-year-old).

9:28 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

SW-- I'm doing much better now. School is out and I got an A-- and the kids have adjusted. They got the message. I'm not picking up thier socks anymore.
BTW-- I hope you all don't think I'm holding my 2-year-old to the same standards-- or the 4-year-old for that matter. Each kid has her own level of expectation. I won't clean their room for them, but I'll sit in the 4-year-old's room and tell her what to do next and give her moral support. I help the 7-year-old in the same way; however, she should know how to clean her room by now.
As for the 2-year-old, well we clean together.
I've had no other choice than to get strict, but I will say things are much calmer and happier her now.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

WAYA-- I'm playing the theme for you too. WE can all whip our kidsinto shape:)

babaloo-- the same goes from me to you-- lots of admiration

flor-- I hope this doesn't mean you are going to leave me. The last time you asked for lessons I didn't hear fromyou for like a month-- I'm just teasing you. I know you are busy.

karmyn-- all I want to do is blog, but if I do the kid's clothes will stand up by themselves because they'll never change out of their jammies

Jodi-- If I forsake it, I might do an online class. I am really tired. This has been a hard summer. I'm emailing my professors so I can find out what the reading expectations are. I can write without thinking, but I have to concentrate to read-- and concentrating is hard in my house right now. I may just continue with Spanish and take a break--study and start Grad school when my husband works closer

kigogal-- I'm glad to hear it worked for you. I worry about being too strict, but my kids need structure and this summer has been pretty loose. I'll relax it a little once they are listening to me and respecting thier property and my property

Heather-- It is working OK. I agree 2-years-old is too young. I have different expectations of all of them. I give more direction to the little ones and I am just happy they are trying. My 2-year-old and I do her chores together, I practically watch my 4-year-old do hers so I can help if need be and I advise my 7-year-old that her room isn't going to clean itself (no I help her too-- just not as much)

10:09 PM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

I was seriously planning on flying out there then.. :( only life has a certain way of sneaking up on you last minute and tweaking juuuust enough that your neatly-laid plans go awry..sigh..I'm saving this post for when I finally have kids and can rear 'em on the Bonnie-Method™ from birth..

12:53 AM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

oh right, and you're the new Supernanny! :) yay!

12:56 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Yay you got an A, of course I know you individualize I don't call you super mom for no reason:)

6:03 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

FLor-- I know I was teasing you. A while back you asked "wheredo I sign up for lessons?" and then you were MIA for a while- - which I certainly don't fault you for. It just made me laugh.

Hey, if you ever fly out, I promise good times and lots of laughs-- or at least an adventure.

If I am Super Nanny do I get to wear a cape?

SW-- Thank you--- If I am Super Mom does that mean I fly on my broom stick and fight crime with a wooden spoon and feather duster? I could dust the unruly childrena nd lock themin the time out chair of contemplation.

7:20 AM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

sure, a cape over jammies. sounds good. Mind if I do the PR shots? Does b&w sound good? or full color? maybe sepia?

10:35 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Sepia I want to look like I've been around the block for a while-- I can appeara as old as my children think I am

9:09 AM  
Blogger but Momma said...

I LOVE "Do unto Mother...
I may hang a plaque in my house. I paid my kids a nickel per pine cone to pick up the back yard. It only works on the little ones, because they don't care about the money and leave it laying around and I just put it back in the change jar. (Bad, huh?)
And Amishav, I'm ALL for a good salute!

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home