Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Part One: With Hubbers Gone, how do I do it? You asked. I answered (well not yet. The answer comes tomorrow.)

The ground troops outnumber me and I no longer have the resources to meet their demands. I radioed for more reinforcements, but the supply lines are tied up.

There will be no reinforcements. I must brave the journey through sights no eyes are old enough to see-- booby-trapped plastic farm animals with their legs pointing up like three-day-old road kill and the horror of horrors naked dismembered Barbies. Barbie heads on Kelly dolls, one-legged Barbies and Barbies with their eyes colored over in bright blue ink. Naked Ken with his plastic underwear and missing earring.

But it is the animalistic screeching, the cacophony of voices, the moaning as if mortally wounded by the pinch of two-year-old fingers and the ruckus of wrestling bodies that made me fantasize about desertion.

The torture was unbearable.

Twenty-four hours of:

“MAAAAAWM! Nikki pinched me!” The tears fly. The body swoons and collapses as if the pinch came straight from Snow White’s stepmother.

“Mine!”

“Stop touching me!”

“No you stop touching me-- MAAAAAAWM, Abby is touching me.”

“No fair.”

“I had it first”

“No, I said give it to me-- now-- MAAAAAWM Abby won’t give it to me, and I had it first.”

“I love you mom,” (kisses from Abby-- and then the tears) “Maggie took my dolly. It's my dolly. She's being mean.”

I can’t take it. I must speak.

“It’s time for bed.”

“But MAAAAAAWM.”

“You heard me. It is time for bed.”

“OK but I have to finish coloring this page first.”

Ten minutes later.

“I said it is time for bed.”

“I heard you Mom. I haven’t brushed my teeth.”

“I need a drink.”

“Nikki keeps pushing me.”

“Maggie won’t let me sleep.”

“Can I sleep in your room? I’m afraid to sleep here.”

“WILL YOU ALL JUST GO TO BED!”

And so---

You will have to wait until tomorrow to discover how a peace agreement was reached without any help from the UN.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pollyanna said...

Oh my word. How do you do it? I have my somewhat helpful husband here to help me and my kids STILL sound like that! :) I'm telling you...it's a secret kid plot to drive us all out of our minds crazy so they can take over the world, I'm telling you it is! Can't wait for Part Duex.

7:05 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Oh man...I watched my kids this past Sunday....and I conceded defeat after a few minutes...i let them do whatever the hecks they wanted..lol

7:40 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Gosh I feel for you. YOu are so strong and the best mom. It really must develop your patience lol.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Babaloo said...

Bribery Bonnie, bribery! I know it sounds like surrender but it's not! It is a peace keeping tool! Awaiting your method though...

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Microsoft access training boulder online payment processing Back pain relief rub How shoot up generic oxycontin Tenuate drug interactions bunn pour omatic coffee maker parts online payment system not bill hot blonde body

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home