Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Life's little recipes

My life is like a big cookbook full of recipes for the day-- lists of dos and don’ts, goals, failures and memories. And so every day, I get out of bed and check off things on my list.

Get up 5 a.m., make coffee, study
7:00 a.m. look at clock and freak out, jump in shower, turn in a circle, get out, get dressed and throw peanut butter onto bread.
7:15-- dress the sleeping children
7:30 rush the kids across the street to the good sitter’s house-- one kid at a time because they always refuse to put on their shoes
7:40 rush off to Spanish class-- I’m 10 minutes late if I drive fast enough I’ll get their closer to on time
12:00 school is out
Lunch, play with kids, dinner, study bed midnight

OK, you get the picture-- same old thing day in, day out . My life had become my mother’s meatloaf and my grandma’s Sunday chicken-- until--

Last week I decided to take the kids to the lake.

Now I am not an outdoorsy kind of person. I want to be-- don’t get me wrong. If I were single,
my ad would say “loves the outdoors” “Adventurous” and “likes long hikes through the woods.”

And I do. I’ve just have never done it without the right accessories-- mainly a man to cook, set up the tent and chase away wild animals. Yes, my husband has always been the bear bait.

But alas, he is off playing firefighter and who knows when I‘ll see him again?

And so, why not take the kids to the lake? It’s cheap entertainment. The scenery is magnificent- who cares that I have never in my God-given life started a fire much less cooked over one.

Going to the lake only requires -- lawn chairs, an ice chest and charcoal for lunch so we can feel all woodsy.

This was until I saw it-- the screened-in vacation home, 14X14 with a living room and one huge bedroom-- and something called an awning. It even had two bay windows, shelves and skylights! But it looked complicated. I remembered the last time I tried to be all outdoorsy. I bought the kids these little dome tents that supposedly set themselves up-- only I managed to snap all the rods or poles or what have you before it popped up.

The salesman assured me-- heck he practically said he’d do it for me-- I’d have no problem.

“You’re a good looking woman,” he said with a hey baby-what-you-do-smile, “Someone will help you don’t worry.”

In the past, before the kids popped out, this was true. I once took a bus from Northern California to Wyoming, showed up to a kind of historical reenactment event with only a small bag of clothes and managed to score a place to stay within minutes of arriving-- no, I didn’t trade my womanly goods for a room. I also sweet talked my way into dinner at various campsites-- no I didn’t beg like a dog. I was cute and those college boys were suckers.

And so feeling overconfident, I bought the tent. Had I looked in the mirror and remembered I had three new accessories (Maggie, Abby and Nikki), I might have seen the error in this logic.

Instead, I through my list out the window and stuffed the kids, the Taj Mahal of tents and four lawn chairs into my tiny sports car. We were going camping!

Upon arriving, I lugged the tent out of the car and proceeded to be educated in outdoorsiness. First of all, the directions made no sense. Essentially it read: Attach the center pole to the gable pole and the gable poles to the side poles. Insert the tent’s S-hooks into holes on poles, snap things around poles to keep them from moving, insert legs into side-- wait you have to put it in the ring first and not the stake loop---

What the???? Which one is which? They all look alike and nothing is numbered.

An hour later, my illustrious daughter Maggie said, “You’re not very good at putting up a tent, huh?”

I shot her the stink eye.

Thirty minutes later as I lay on the dusty ground-- my face coal miner extraordinaire-- my fingers blistered from trying to make everything snap, my daughter finally sees the error of her ways.

“Not many moms would take their kids camping without dad. That is pretty cool. I didn’t think moms did that,“ she said.

OK I felt pretty good about myself. My attempt at a bonding experience was working.
And then, she brought me a notch.

“I’ll bet you’re happy I’m here to help you put the tent up because you don’t know what you are doing,” she said.

Well, I’ll have you all know, I got the tent up. It took me two hours, but I got it up. I also cooked hotdogs over the campfire, hiked with a flash light, blew up a water raft using my lung power-- and figured out how to deflate it. I’m ashamed to admit I didn’t know you had to squeeze the valve to get the air out. We sat there for an hour waiting for it to deflate until by accident I squeezed it and heard the “hiss.”

I chased away flies, stomped on beetles and chased off evil teenage boys who were harassing my daughter. And I never once reached for my list, but I did find a new recipe for fun.


****I’ve been busy with school, taking care of the kids and working so I apologize if I haven’t been commenting as much as I used to. I promise once things settle down I’ll visit and write more often.

12 Comments:

Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Love the countdown of your day. You are too cool with the tent and just how u tell it over. I always wanted to go camping and stay in a tent. Very busy beaver you are.

1:30 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

You have done what I consider the impossible- you built a tent and it didn't come crashing down five seconds later.
You are my hero.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

You go woman!!!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

I love this story! I would have loved to go camping with my mom when I was a kid. My boyfriend's mom used to take him and his sisters camping out in the woods. I think that's really cute!!!! (Despite the obvious tent-building hardships.) :-)

11:27 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

SW-- Very busy. Wish you were here to help me set up the tent. I'm going away today for a four-day camping trip with the girls--yippeee! Maybe I can get the tent up in one hour this time.

kasamba-- you are mine too-- so funny and your mother sounds terrific.

kristin-- Womanpower!

kigogal-- that is a sweet story. How nice.
BTW How is your forehead? It looked like it hurt a lot.

Nicole-- I guess now I'm "it". I'm so honored. Since I am leaving in about 10 minutes, I will do my blogging duty on Sunday. This should be fun.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Babaloo said...

You are my new hero, seriously. That is so much work. I tried to put up a pup tent once, took me a lot longer than two hours. Then? I never wanted to take it down!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

You're awesome. There is no other way to put it. I wouldn't go camping if Chad were there to put up the tent AND cook the hot dogs. You are just awesome. Good for you! you are one brave woman. I hope you are having a good time. Did you go to the coast, I hope, to get away from this OPPRESIVE heat???

8:18 PM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

aaahhhhhhh! you went camping without me???
pretty lease take me along next time..i love setting up tents (ye, i'm the designated family member in a house full of girls that does it..) and starting campfires..(thank you sleepaway camp!) and flinging daddy-longlegs out of the tent door..(they freak me out , but hey, how else to build guts when you're a city gurl)
like i said i'm trying to get a flight to your neck of the woods this coming week or next..lets camp again..and you can go float on the lake while we do all the work..how 'bout it?

8:06 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

LOL
You had me laughing from beginning to end...
From hubby being bear bait...to ur daughters innocent taunts...
These are things that kids will remember in 20-30 years from now

8:26 PM  
Blogger Ashley Lasbury said...

Oh, Bonnie, that was great. "I am Woman, Hear Me Roar!" You were a wonderful role model for your kids and were able to break out of you everyday routine. I am so glad you had a good time.

I posted today about camping with my kids. The reason our "screen house" blew off of the camper a week ago....I set it up by myself for the first time...incorrectly. Oppps!

1:42 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Sure when do I have to be there? Oops too late you are home already, how was it? I want a full description.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Lisa-- it was a kid raft for people under 120 pounds, but it still took lung power. You can come with us anytime

babaloo-- those tents --even ones for pups (hehehe) are terrible. I didn't want to take mine down either, but I had a 12 o'clock check out (at a state park-- can you believe it?)

Jodi-- on that trip i went to Lake Oroville (hot, hot, hot and noisy) I just got back from four days with the girls at a place called Castle Crags State Park-- near Dunsmuir. It was beautiful. I could seriously live there and may one day-- after graduate school

flor-- you can absolutely come with me any time you want. I'll even set up the tent--of course if you are offering-- go for it! I'll kick back in the canoe and wait for prince charming

david-- I hope they remember the good parts with fondess and laugh at everything else

onetallmomma-- I had a fantastic time. Sorry about the screen house, but that sounds hilarious. Thanks

SW-- you missed me! I'll post details tomorrow or the next day. I've got a busy week ahead. I'm going to Fort Bragg in a week or two, so come on over and we'll either put up the tent or-- maybe we'll take the Skunk train up to Fort Bragg and stay in a swanky hotel (and then i remember this vacation isn't an all girl's freedom fest-- it's the kids' vacation darnit, but they like hotels too. It just won't be swanky)

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home