Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Garbage Heap

Don't let me open my eyes,
turn the corner at the old Outpost,
see Bigger's Glen-- my playground of yesteryear
its ground exploded
is now a war zone of soon-to-be houses--

Dozer tracks deep, jagged
twigs and branches
Old Coke cans-- rusted--
cigarette butts, Big Mac wrappers
an empty circle of a Skoal can
Why are you here?

Please, don't let me hear the roar of the chain saw
or the quiet snap of logger boots
Cover my ears.
The forest is quiet no more and
the birds have forgotten their song.
And all I can see are uprooted stumps
their dried bark falling
to sleep with the wreck
the loggers left behind
a nd bodies of lifeless
trees heaped into
a community grave.

I want to go back--
push sugar ants around on a stick,
mumble "Shoo Fly,"
find that time when I could wear overalls
and run heathen through the woods.

I want to go back
balance on rocks along Butte Creek,
suck on licorice and M&Ms,
grab the prickly arms of Douglas firs.
Let me find the days
when Sunday mornings came at six
and nighttime never seemed to end.

Just let me lie with daisies--
lie in meadows of yellow
centers and white petals,
smell evergreen
and sleep under the shade of dying trees.

8 Comments:

Blogger Babaloo said...

When I go "home" there always seems to be a new stop sign that wasn't there before...I'm gonna end up killing someone one of these days and then they'll never let me come back.

1:35 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Very nice poem. Already you changed it back I had such an impace? Kidding!

5:17 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

wow...I can relate....
All around me..Developers are carelssly wreaking destruction on such beautiful areas...

8:25 AM  
Blogger kasamba said...

I love it!!!


I wanna suck on licorice and M&Ms!!!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

sweet and sad... very evocative...

2:53 AM  
Blogger the only way i know said...

ohhhh -
how beautiful
nothing like nostalgia

5:16 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Gosh, between you and genendy....making me wanna spruce up my poetry skills!! If I have any ay all

5:20 PM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

love the way you've made the poem come full circle..we see the slow-death of a favorite childhood-haunt, you take us through the looping reel of youth, we're tasting the m& m's with you, lying in the flowers and then slide neatly back into the beginnings of your poem..the 'dying trees'

(what also struck me is the mirroring of art and poetry here. Much the same way a triadic cholor scheme works, you've placed the 'death/dying out' parts almost equidistant from each other..so it's nice and balanced even though slightly morbid. and the human eye [I'm sure brain too] appreciates this balance when viewing art..makes it more appealing though we can't always put our finger on why..much like the golden ratio/fibonacci sequence..but that's for your next poem and i digress ;) )


Then again, it's also the cycle of life this coming full-circle. The dead decomposing so the living can thrive. Who knows, maybe one day in the future your kids'll see the demise of the very houses that swallowed your beloved memories and a new 'playground' will be built..who knows..

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home