Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Monday, June 12, 2006

And now it is time for the weekend update . . .

(also known as the post you can skip if you are sick of reading weekend updates-- I never am:)

Paradise hosted its third annual Unity in Diversity Festival, a festival aiming to bring all cultures and races together as one in a town of 97.9 percent white people.

It is a festival with good intentions. We should all love one another regardless of our differences. I think most of us can agree on that.

However, (at least in the past) our little festival is bizarre at best. What usually happens-- and here is where in my opinion of it gets slightly offensive-- is that ethnic groups are bused in or invited to perform for the locals.

To me, this is like saying come let us stare at you-- and entertain us while you’re at it so we can feel good about being diverse when we are not a diverse community.

I wish we were. Sometimes I feel like I live in clonesville.

Sometimes I miss my hometown-- San Antonio, Texas-- a melting pot among melting pots-- where the fiestas are just a tad more grand than Oktoberfest. It’s odd that I ended up in wonder bread land.

Maybe I’m being too sensitive. Maybe I should give the fest a break. You know at least the kids are being exposed to different cultures. I can’t argue the intentions for the festival are always good. Maybe it was better this year.

I don’t know.

I went to Lake Tahoe with the kiddies and the hubby this weekend. I was a wench, he a nicely dressed peasant and the kids equaled two fairies and a princess. This was a great day, but the trip there provided the best entertainment.

On the way to Tahoe, I got the prime opportunity to listen to my children talk.
Here is the conversation.

“Abby look at the buoys,” Maggie said, pointing to the buoys on the lake.
“What boobies?” Abby said.
“The ones on the lake,” Maggie said. “They are the white balls floating next to the boats.”
“I don’t see any balls or boobies,” Abby said. “What are boobies doing on the lake? You’re silly Maggie.”
“The boats are tied to the buoys-- they are the white balls,” Maggie said.
“The boats are not tied to boobies. They are tied to the balls,” Abby said.

I should have corrected herafter all this is the child who brought us the chicken eyeball, but I was laughing too hard. I will. I promise.

22 Comments:

Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

They are hesterical Bonnie you have to tape them for prosperity. Nice exciting weekend. I don't care about diversity and culture either.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

HEHEEHEHE. That's funny. Cracks me up. Did you have fun while in Tahoe???

9:20 PM  
Blogger Ashley Lasbury said...

Boodies and balls...I love it!

8:58 AM  
Blogger kasamba said...

You couldn't live in Clonesville cuz there is no way they could clone you.
You are a 100% texas original!

11:51 AM  
Blogger but Momma said...

Aahh Boobies...gotta love em.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Babaloo said...

Hmmm... I was wondering why my community was so quiet this weekend. The citizens must have been on the diversity bus to Paradise!
I live in a very culturally diverse area so every day is a "Unity in Diversity Festival."

I don't think we saw the boobies last time we were in Tahoe... maybe because it was snowing?

1:04 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Socialworker/frustrated mom-- I'm Ok with diversity. I love learning about other cultures and seeing how other people do things. Do I want it shoved down my throat by a bunch of people stuck in the 60s?

Jodi-- I had a great time. I was going to write about it, but I know longer posts can be intimidating to read (you all do have lives, right?)-- so I'll just share little nuggets.

nicole-- the festival is always interesting-- it's just weird-- It makes you realize how "white" our town is-- and it makes me a little homesick.

Ashley-- yes, boobies and balls-- these are the conversations of my children-- what can I say?

Kasamba-- They've tried to get me in the clonning machine, but it spit me out like I had a bad taste. I guess they don't want to clone me. SHould I be offended?

but momma- yes, they are great-- though a little bothersome at times

4:55 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

babaloo-- Your town provided the entertainment-- wow. When is your next festival. I'm dying for some authentic MExican food and to hear the accordian at an Oktober Fest. Those men in lederhosen-- hmm?

4:57 PM  
Blogger kgmomma said...

That is hilarious! I can't wait til I have more than one kid talking so they can talk amongst themselves! :)
All sounds like good fun.

6:35 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Very funny...!

(ur kids..)

7:29 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

David-- I'm so happy you came to visit. You are such an amazing and inspiring writer. Thanks for visiting. Come back again.

9:48 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I am also ok with it. In grad school that was all they talked about and it was shoved down by all the liberal teachers. That is why I made the comment.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

social worker-- I know you are. You are right-- it is absolutely shoved down our throats. Makes me a little crazy, and in some ways it offends me because it assumes everyone is a racists pig.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Let me clarify-- the way diversity is often taught assumes people are ignorant

7:31 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Exactly what I was talking about. We are so on the same page it's funny.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

I think that is funny too. Today we have shared a brain.he-he

6:26 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Hey thanks for the comment over at babloo's blog.

7:14 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Can you share with me more often. No wonder I was so smart yesterday.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

socialworker/frustrated mom-- You are smart every day, I think I borrowed from you

12:29 PM  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Kids and their conversations crack me up - they are so innocent.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Love it! Added meaning for Australians, as we pronounce 'buoys' as 'boys' - it's hilarious every time I hear buoy on Survivor...

9:23 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

pugglelogic-- thanks for visiting. That is one interesting fact about Australia. I'll never think of bouys the same

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home