Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Bye Bye Birdie

We had baby robins next to our house, and I loved to sit and listen to them sing and watch them arch their hungry mouths toward mama. I wrote this for them this weekend, but I am sorry to say-- nature reclaimed my baby birds and they never got to hear it.

Fly to the moon little bird
there is a man with bread and cheese
and a crater fit for a nest
of ribbons and leaves.
Come sit and stare up at the stars.
Their twilight twinkle
will lullaby you to sleep.
So fly, fly fly away little bird
the cat's in the tree watching you.

Don't stop til morning
when the warm sun wipes
dew from weary wings
and the flowers open their shops
of yellow pollen puffs and nummy seeds.
The bees are a-buzzing.
The worms are inching away,
so eat, eat, eat away little bird
'til dawn should fall upon your shoulders
and the moon does call you home.
There's a window to the world
and it's full of glass
so hurry, eat up and fly away.

7 Comments:

Blogger Babaloo said...

That is lovely! I hear baby birds and its fodder for me to complain about not being able to sleep in... you hear baby birds and this is the result (sigh).

4:14 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

I know it, she's deep, huh? Goodness....

4:39 PM  
Blogger sweatpantsmom said...

Ahhh...the grocery store. My oasis, too, especially when the bakery guy gives me a free cookie to go with my coffee.

These days I mostly spend my time trying to fend off all the junk food that tries to find it's way into my cart. Who knew bags of Cheetos had legs...

5:47 PM  
Blogger sweatpantsmom said...

(Oops - that comment was meant for your previous post.)

5:48 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

marshatm-- you know the birds kind of went with the grocery store comment-- nature's pantry (yuck) Thanks for visiting

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeeesh, this reminds me of the carnage of the birds we had in the backyard a few years back. The kids were all excited that the birds had built a nest over the patio. The problem was that the patio was concrete and when the little birds jumped out of the nest for the first time, they broke their necks and died. I had to pick up dead birds for days in the pre-dawn hours to spare my kids the grusome sight.

8:35 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Love it! Thanks.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home