Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

After the Fall

Get out of my garden-- you serpent,
you slivering snake never to have wings
and fly away
Get out haughty body-- looks
The half closed eyes of a seductive dreamer

Lure me in?
You taught me language, and my profit on it
Is I know the crunchiness of love, the choking peeling scream
Of red blood love slipping down my fingers
Feeding the plants sorrow for breakfast

After such knowledge, what forgiveness?
Think now
History -- she is little better than a strawberry
A sweet vine, a tart really
That chokes the life out of everything


Now get out
Before you unclothe my flowers
And make my nasturtiums your salad.

14 Comments:

Blogger Pollyanna said...

OKay, I am SUPER DUPER confused. Hopefully everybody's comments will enlighten me. OY VEY. I am a DORK I think that much is clear.

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice extended apostrophe to the serpent- you are playing with the serpent's dual symbolism of wisdom/evil right?

9:30 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Jodi-- It's Eve in the Garden of Eden meeting the serpent again-- he's evil and he's brought her all this knowledge that has caused her a lot of pain and misery-- I'll tell you in class I know you hate poetry

Amishav--you've got it on the button, but the serpent is so much more-- he's also a bloody sexual object-- because what poem would be any fun if there wasn't some sex thrown in for good measure-- sex, Genesis and I'll own up to it-- two other poets-- but I'll keep their names to myself

9:58 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

On second thought-- here are the darned poets-- Shakespear and T.S. Elliot. I thought Caliban was fitting for the Garden of Eden and Gerontion had a great line about knowledge and history.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

what about Milton?? He wrote all about that in "paradise lost"! SEE, I know something...thanks to Ekins and Honors English. :)

9:56 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Great comparisison to the serpent. We also have to thank him for causing eve to sin which caused us women to have to go through torture in child birth.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

social worker-- you're right-- and that is the blood on her fingers-- only maybe the image is not so strong.

Jodi-- Nice thinking-- maybe, but I didn't return to Paradise Lost. You know, I probably should have. Maybe I'll do a rewrite and throw some in for good measure.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Babaloo said...

You can't know (recognize, appreciate, value) love without knowing pain, and vice versa.

What is a nasturtium?

10:12 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

socialworker/frustrated mom-- you know-- I have a bone to pick with that serpent-- I had three enormous babies-- I still can't look at a snake without a pang running up my back PTSD

10:13 AM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

ow. PTSD sounds nasty.

But look at your three beautiful, impish garden gnomes that add to the scenery..

10:31 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder)
I love the gnomes

12:48 PM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

(I know; can't wait to romp with my own..)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

babaloo--It's a flower-- some people use them in salads--
Isn't it a shame you can't feel love and happiness without feeling loss and pain-- good point! I totally meant to put it in my poem-- hehehe-- I just wrote it-- you all can figure it out. I wonder how many writers just write and listen to the masses and go "So that's what I meant-- o.k. now I get it."

4:06 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

No the image is strong enough.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home