Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Damn She's Got Talent

I am going to do a big no-no, but I can't help it. I'm a mother, and I've got three amazing daughters-- and for today, you can all groan over one of them.
I say groan because that is what I always did when my dad took in photos of me to his work. I swear he has a picture of me for each year of my life-- in every princess dress I've ever owned-- stuffed, and I mean stuffed, into his wallet.
But today, it's my turn-- brace yourself.
Miss Maggie Moo--What a child-- blonde hair, big blue eyes-- electric eyes, and a smile that could change the seasons.
And she is smart.
Last night while we were trying to figure out what she could bring in for show and tell, she pulled out some blank paper.
"I want to do what you do," she said.
"You want to interview the Magalia Beautification Association?" I said.
"No. Can I write a poem?" she said.
Poems can be short. They don't have to rhyme, and they don't even have to make sense because you could just tell the readers "the message goes deeper. Keep digging." Perfect for a 7-year-old.
This is her poem. She wrote it all by herself-- no help, except with spelling

My Mother's Garden

There are lots of flowers in a garden--
different types--
yellow and pink and
purple, white-- and
green leaves.

When I smell them,
they remind me of
flower candy.

Everyday I look out the window
and look at the flowers.
The pansy faces--
they smile at me.
In winter
they are sad.
They want a blanket.

By Maggie age 7

12 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie B said...

Creep Kid--I'm happy to hear that. I hope everything is going well for you. It is nice to hear you happy.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

Like Mother, like daughter. You be a bunch of smarty's in the B household!

12:22 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

Well, the apple didn't fall too far from the tree!
What nachas!

3:18 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Oh I love it and so funny since my first poem was at age 7.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice- that personification at the end was really cool. I wish my little boy would show some creative impulses like that!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Babaloo said...

She is a budding poet. Get it? Budding! Hee Hee. Cute poem, thanks for sharing.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Thank you all for the nice comments on my little angel's poem. She is so excited to be a published writer

12:07 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:07 PM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

(now you need some art for her new poetry book..)

9:36 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Flor--I know I do-- I'm just not computer savy.

10:09 AM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

(I meant by the poetess herself..)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

I save all her artwork-- I should put them in a book.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home