Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Monday, May 15, 2006

The Chorus of Ten Thousand Sperm

Storming the beaches of Norma Jean
Category 5 white water and nobody’s got their helmet on
Cruising the eerie canal
Necropolis down under or
Adam and Eve’s last resort
The spawning grounds of one--
One lone survivor
Outwit, outlast, outplay
That’s what they say.

And they’re off
An army of Ben-Bob’s finest, ten thousand wiggly whiskers
“I’m bigger”
“I’m longer”
“I’m smarter”
“You’re stupid, but she’s pretty and you’re ugly.”

And there it is
a round fuzzy orb, a full moon,
a pearl just sitting there
waiting-- will somebody please fulfill my destiny?

A thousand tails turn at once.
“Hey Bob, I’m hungry. What’s that ahead?”
“Baby come to Papa.”
“Ain’t she cute?”
“It’s not a she, Bob.”
“Oh, don’t be disgusting. I can’t eat that.”
“It’s not a he either.”
“Oh.”

The race is on.
“Hey, Bob I’ll race you to it.”
“Last one there is a rotten egg.”
“I’m faster.”
“Well, I’m-uh?- I’m-uh? I have better balance.”
Caboom! Crash!-- into the wall.
“That’s not the mark, you idiot.”

Convergence.
One thousand attack
Tight packed and tails flying

The “men” circled their wagons.
“Alright men here’s what we need to do.”
The “women” just went to the door.

Chomp-chomp, wiggle-wiggle.
“Hey, where’s the door?”
“There is no door, Jan-- gosh.”
“Knock, knock.”

For a moment -- a hush on the war zone.
Tails stand in salute
And Jan sneaks in.
“Told you so.”

And they all go marching down to the ground,
To get out of their shame.

12 Comments:

Blogger kasamba said...

LOLOLOL!!!
Whoa- that is WAY too funny!!!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

I'm so glad you liked it.

9:26 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I as usual love it bonnie.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

are you trying to tell us something???

1:17 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

No, there is no secret message. I was just having fun

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute poem- creative and very well thought out. Ten thousand sperm and only one woman- sounds like the odds for single guys in Alaska- glad I don't live there! If you have any more poems you should post them.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I just blogrolled you so I'll have an automatic reminder to keep checking back here. So put some poems up lady!

5:32 PM  
Blogger None available said...

That was the funniest thing I've read this morning.
Great stuff. Pretty poignant, actually.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Amishav I am glad you liked it, and yes, the odds are stacked against the little buggers, so I thought I'd give them better odds.
For the curious the average is 280 million per second of happiness I guess you could say. But I just didn't think 280 million sounded as funny-- maybe it does? Does it?
"The Chorus of 280 Million Sperm"

Tomboy-- I'm glad you liked it. You are such a great writer. I enjoy reading you too.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

This made me laugh - I kept hearing the voice of Bruce Willis (from Look Who's Talking) in my head.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Too funny!!!!!

Like Jodi, I thought there was a secret message in there...

6:36 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

A secret message-- that would have been funny, but nope. I wrote the poem after waking from a cold sweat-- maybe I was afraid of an alien invasion of the sperm kind. But no I really don't want to visit that stage of life again. Three kids is enough.

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home