Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Salty Days Ahead

I've always dreamed of winning a can of salt, but I'd always assumed that if I won said can, I would have been much younger and most likely drunk.

Such is life, no seedy story here to last a lifetime.

No I won the can in a poetry decoding contest which just proves I am the big nerd some of my friends profess I am.

I can't help it. I'm a sucker for poetry, and I'm even bigger sucker for winning. Try as I might to resign myself to an afternoon of fingerpainting and dusting, I couldn't. I heard Yeats and Donne, and goodness they are two sexy writers -- the stuff made for a good date and a bottle of wine.

And so the story goes, I tried to stay in my place trapped in the yellow wallpaper of my post college life, but I couldn't. I had to travel, and it was a arduous travel, into the files of my brain and pull out the goods.

It was a fantastic afternoon. I wasn't a mom. I wasn't a doormat. I had a brain (at times) and I got to use it. Those of you whose life has become a ritual of Cherrios and nights waiting by the phone for a call that may or may not come, who have sacrificed year upon year those dreams you could dispose of for the family's sake may understand how precious this afternoon was to me.

Thank you amishav.

As for the salt-- whatever am I going to do with it? Are there salty days ahead? Should I put it on my mantel as a reminder of the day when I was not in hock to my kids? Should I cook up a storm and relish each morsal of my victory? Is it inspiration or just a can of salt waiting for a fish?

9 Comments:

Blogger Pollyanna said...

I don't get the salt thing. Is it like worth your weight in salt? Or however that saying goes? Congrats either way, even though I don't get it. :)

2:37 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

I won a half empty or full depending on how you look at it can of seasoning salt-- thus what am I am going to do with said prize?

3:05 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

I would mount the salt in a glass box on your wall next to all your diplomas.
'Cuz you some smart chick!!!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Kasamba, you are so awesome. I think I could learn a lot from you.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

OHHH, you don't know the half of it. I know Bonnie B in real life and she is BRILLIANT. Very smart.

8:50 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Feel good another great analogy.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Thanks social worker/frustrated mom I'm glad you liked the analogy.And I do feel pretty proud. I thought all the college was drained out of me already. It's nice to know it's still there.

Jodi-- your compliments make me blush. You are brilliant too.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey- you are welcome. You were clearly the most diligent of all those who tried to decipher the poem that I put up, althought David Linn was a close second. And Jodi is right. You ARE brilliant- that poem was tough.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Thank you amishav-- I take that as a serious compliment from one brilliant mind to another:)

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home