Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Don't Take Candy from Strangers-- especially old hags carrying a basket of apples

After a particularly disturbing Law and Order episode sent me running into my children’s bedrooms to make sure they were still there, I decided it was time to commence with daily safety quizzes.
“Do we talk to strangers?” I asked.
“No,” they said proudly.
“Good answer,” I said, thinking the subject was over.
“How do we make friends, then?” my oldest daughter asked.

Good question. In the parent manual that came with my children when they were born, it just has the catch phrase “don’t talk to strangers.” It doesn’t say anything about making friends-- except smile, be polite and introduce yourself with a firm handshake.

“Well, you can talk to other children if a trustworthy adult is nearby,” I said. “But only talk to adults if I’m there or your dad is there or an adult you really know is standing right next to you.”

I’m a little sensitive to the subject.
I remember the scare tactics my elementary school used during the 1980s to teach me not to talk to strangers.

This was during a period of heightened awareness of child abduction. Adam Walsh had been abducted and killed, causing most parents to hold onto their children with tourniquet-force strength.
Schools across the nation began launching “don’t talk to strangers” campaigns and went to great lengths to describe good touching and bad touching.

For many schools, this was probably nothing new, but looking back I think my school went overboard.
I remember my teacher saying with the most serious-- almost threatening voice, “It could be your dad, your uncle, your grandfather, babysitter or the nice man down the street-- bad people don’t have a look. It can be anyone, anywhere.”

I went home from school, thinking everyone was out to get me. I was terrified to leave my mother’s side, and though I had always been “Daddy’s Little Girl”, I would barely let my father near me anymore.

Gone were the days of childhood rough-housing. I was too afraid it would turn ugly-- like my teacher with the best of intentions warned me it could.

I certainly don’t fault my teacher for being zealous with the subject. It is a serious subject that must be taught. I am just saddened that it affected me so greatly.

Children shouldn’t live in fear, but they should be well informed and aware.
I decided to approach the subject with a light heart and some seriousness thrown in for good measure.

We went back to the basics and took out the parenting manuals of yesteryear “Grimm’s Fairytales.”

After reading healthy doses of “Jack and the Beanstalk,” “Hansel and Gretel,” “Goldilocks and the Three Bears,” we learned not to talk to strangers or go into their homes because a man-eating giant, wicked witch or angry bears might live there.
“The Three Little Pigs” and “Little Red Riding Hood” taught us install security systems and not to answer the door because a wolf might be lurking behind the corner.
The fairytales have given way to our ever popular “daily quizzes,” which probably do more good than a little light reading of the darkest terrors of childhood (fairytales).
“What do we do if a stranger approaches you?” I ask.
“Don’t talk to him and yell for help,” they chimed in.
“OK that’s pretty good,” I said, “What if he’s lost his puppy and wants you to help him look for it? Do we help him?“
“No”, they said.
“What if he offers you ice cream or candy? Do we take it?” I ask.
“No,” they said.
“Well, what if he just wants directions?” I ask. “Do you go near him and give them to him or do you get an adult?”
“An adult,” they said.
“But what if you forget and he tries to grab you?” I ask.
“I’d scream and kick him in the knee,” my oldest daughter said.
“Yeah well, I’d kick him in the chicken eyeball,” my middle child shouted with great enthusiasm.
Now my dear readers I have no idea where the chicken eye ball is or what it is, but I can assure you that if you kick the Big Bad Wolf there, I don’t think he’ll blow your house down.

(previously published in the Paradise Post by the Blogger who goes by Bonnie B-- hey I'm too busy to write something new, so here is some old stuff)

9 Comments:

Blogger ;iulu said...

...and the hunt for the chicken eye ball is on!



:Stay tuned for further developments:

9:26 AM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

OH, I loved this column. So cute. I too am on the look out for a chicken eye ball. If all us bloggers keep on it we'll be able to find that chicken eye ball for sure!

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is sad that we have to be so cautious- it is necessary somewhat. But I remember the big razor blade in the apple panic over halloween- bring in your bag to get it x-rayed for needles and razors. Turns out it never occured. What a pity that we have to be so distrustful of our neighbors. It makes you wonder when we will lose faith in ourselves as a nation- if it hasn't already happened.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Babaloo said...

That was a great column. It is a fine line between completely freaking out your kid(s) and completely freaking yourself out by not giving them enough information... chicken eye ball -hee hee! Classic!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Babaloo -- are you from Paradise? If so, our kids should get together and raise the woodchips at the park. Anyway, thanks for the kudos.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

amishav-- yes, it is sad when we have to do these things-- but what about the chicken eye ball?

7:17 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

WHAT ABOUT ME? When do I get invited to the park????? Huh,HUH,HUH? Oh yeah, I'm going to work full-time. Nevermind.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Jodi-- Well, when would you like to go? Hey,why don't you come over to my house? Since I've met you in person, I know you aren't the kind of personwho will go through my cabinets and read all my old perscriptions drug bottles I need to toss. And please-- crap now I hope I haven't tempted you because you are curious. Well, go ahead there's nothing but some good stuff to wipe out headaches. Just stay out of the kids' rooms-- they are scary.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

We do what we have to so that our children stay safe.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home