Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Reason No.4 to be happy

Cat eyes


Last night we couldn't find Raisin Bran, our 14-year-old cat. The wind pelted our house with rain and snow and dared us to go searching for our beloved kitty. Truthfully, I'm ashamed to admit I really didn't want to dawn my snow boots and heavy coat to trudge in the snow for an old cat that was probably just hiding under our deck. I wanted to cuddle up with a cup of tea and let be-- be.
But I couldn't. There were children involved and cold as I felt-- my heart hadn't chilled quite through. I would do what all good moms do-- search for the kitty in the snow storm.

I walked the neighborhood. I drove the neighborhood. I called out the window, tried to bait the air with cat kibble-- nothing.

In the chilly air my heart began to defrost. She really was missing. My baby of 14-years who would let you hug her like a teddy bear-- gone. I had taken her for granted lately. Isn't that always the case just prior to something you love going away?

I tried to reassure myself. She'd gotten mean in her old age. Her beautiful black shiny hair had lost its luster and was falling out. She was fearful and would back up form even those who loved her best. Maybe she was sick and dying and wanted to go in peace.

I returned to the house--resigned. Our kitty was simply gone and that's when I saw my middle child looking scared. She didn't want to admit soemthing.

"Mom, maybe Raisin is int he playhouse?" she said.

"How could that be?"I said. "You all weren't supposed to go outside today because of the rain."

"Indigo and I did," she said. "We just wanted to look inside. Maybe Raisin went inside while we were looking. Pepper (our dog) was barking when I shut the door."

I grabbed a flashlight and peeked inside the dark little house. Nothing. I was about to shut the door when--

"In the door, look!" my daughter shouted.

Two glowing golden eyes looked back at me but wouldn't budge. We left the door open. Minutes later my kitty was at the back door.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home