Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Reason No.3 to be happy

Slumber parties


This morning I wrapped up my fourth sleepover at my house in as many weeks, and I'll admit it-- I'm a bit sad.

For the past four weekends, I've had hordes of girls toting sleeping bags, cheap play makeup and stuffed animals into my house. I've listened to their thumping feet bounding down the hall and been jolted awake by their midnight shrieks. I've consumed more pizza than should ever be allowed and whipped up more pumpkin, blueberry and chocolate chip muffins than Betty Crocker herself.

I've endured Sponge Bob and Hannah Montan movie marathons, and I've even watched some dreadful preteen mean girl movies.
When the preteens arrived, it was as if a whole host of locusts swarmed my refrigerator and kitchen cabinets. Gone was the jam, the peanut butter, all mac and cheese or easy to make pasta product, granola bars and frozen convenience foods. The popcorn went out with a bang. Even the fruit, the good nutritious fruit found its way down someone's stomach. My kitchen was a barren land of dirty dishes and hungry, face-painted girls.

When the first graders came, it was all Disney. The dress-up boxes spilled and the girls emerged dressed fit for their imaginations-- and I was lucky enough to listen in.

I am lucky. I am fortunate and next week--

Yes, the parties will be over, but--

I'll have my girls all to myself-- and that is a gift all by itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home