Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Friday, May 01, 2009

So I drank a bottle of wine . .

You know does it REALLY matter? I'm legal. I didn't drool on the couch or sing "Love Shack" off key while waving my arms over my head. Beside the blinds were closed so even if I had, it's not like anyone would have known anyway-- good grapefruit I'm not that nice to my neighbors. Like would I really give them MORE fodder for the gossip train!

I am entitled. If I'm going to lose it, I need to thoroughly lose it so I resist losing it again and turn stalker.

Last week I turned 36 and in my downward spiral of reading the "Twilight" series in four days, obsessing over American Idol and discovering a certain song on my 10-year-old's MP3player, I drank a bottle of wine-- and some people had the nerve to snicker, to judge and proclaim "You DRANK the WHOLE bottle!"

Well yes I did because everyone knows wine isn't as good the second day.

Now the song was MY fault. I usually screen my daughter's music, read the lyrics-- etc. However,on this occasion I just took her word for it. The song: Jason Mraz' "Butterfly," which incidentally isn't really about colorful winged insects. No the song is a middle school sex ed class wrapped up in a metaphor of -- well a "butterfly-- of sorts."

Thank goodness my babe is 10 and naive and doesn't know WHAT he is singing about.
And so the song is now on MY IPOD-- next to an empty bottle of wine.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You are too funny. For me it's the whole half gallon of choc./peanut butter ice cream. unfortunately that decision will be with me for a long time, I'm sure it went strait to my hips!!!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

Oh Lord! I think drinking a bottle of wine sounds wonderful! I drank 3 Screwdrivers last night and woke up with a headache. It was either that or eat a whole bag of chocolate, so I choose the booze. :)

And as for the music, I hear ya sista. We are having music wars here too....

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Karmyn R said...

I look back at some of the songs I listened to when I was young and had NO CLUE what they really meant....

Remember "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Yeah, I was clueless about that song and sang it ALL the time.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

No judgement here! Happy Birthday!

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the very reason your daughter thinks your a hypocrete... I'm not judging, just pointing out the facts.

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the very reason your daughter thinks your a hypocrete... I'm not judging, just pointing out the facts.
The question, why is it ok for you to fill your head with such lyrics but not me, and when she is older, why is it ok for you to drink an entire bottle but not me...
Our children use us as their example for life. Yes life isn't fair but how can you explain that you love your child so much that you don't want negative for them... they will think you don't love yourself and even if the words are never spoken, if someone doesn't love themself then how could they love me, their child... I'm a part of them...
I'm only offering the advise that I was given. It affected my relationship with my daughter greatly.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home