Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Monday, April 27, 2009

Twilight-- more evidence I'm headed for a midlife crisis

I'm in love with a vampire. And like a deranged 17-year-old, I just wish he'd bite me on the neck.

Last week, I read 1,100 pages in two days just so I could finish "Twilight" and "New Moon," the first two books in the Twilight series. My verdict: the books were overwritten, funny where I'm not sure the author intended comedy and send a bad message to teenage girls.

Though I could see all the faults with the books, I couldn't help it-- I KEPT reading. My eyes blurred. My sides ached from laughing in all the wrong places. My brain ached for MORE. I wanted to fly through the forest on the back of a vampire and hold really still for a kiss.

My theory behind this obsession with the book is that I think I dated "Edward" in high school and college and I think I obsessed over him as much as Bella. Edward was the never fully attainable bad boy who always left me thirsty for more. How many times did I make this heartbreaking mistake? Unfortunately the author seems to have forgotten Edward is indeed dangerous in "New Moon," which is my biggest beef with the series. Part of the sex appeal to the book was the tension-- how DO you LOVE a vampire? I never felt like he'd lose it and turn her into a happy meal. It turned all Harlequin on me-- I hate romance novels.

Maybe I keep reading because I hope Bella will grow up and figure out life should never revolve around one person? But alas it's more probable the author will do the predictable and turn her into a vampire. I wish she'd get it over with. then Bella could turn super hero on us and the books could turn interesting again.

Anyway, if you've read the books, give me your theory-- why are they so popular and why can't I put them down-- though I really don't like them?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Karmyn R said...

Keep Reading.

I have a love/hate relationship with the whole series too and have read the series now 3 times. And still I am a Jacob fan. However, I have to agree with another friend - Edward is a controlling ass. He totally runs Bella's life.

As much as I enjoyed the books, I think Bella is a horrible role model for young girls....and that makes me sad that so many young girls are reading these books.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

I kept reading and hoping Bella would wise up and choose Jacob, but like so many stupid teenagers she goes for the controlling bad boy! If she'd just aged a little, she'd see what a fool she was!

Weren't some of the "tense" dramatic moments hysterical? I thought I would die laughing. I wonder if Meyers meant it to be funny?

7:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really loved the Twilight Series,(I read it many times) however I am not letting my 11 yr. old daughter read the series no matter how much she begs! Maybe when she is 16 and has a good idea of reality vs. fantasy. Edward is a jerk, even for a vampire. I'm still a Jacob fan, because at least he seems real, and Bella is a baby and a terrible role model. I just hope the young girls realize this book is an FANTASY!!!
P.S.
The movie is awful, and really funny, even though it not supposed to be!

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home