Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Imagine they are all naked-- that's what my mother used to tell me

And then-- Oh how I wish Meryl Streep had possessed me, but now she didn't. It was more like Anna Nicole came back from the dead because all of a suddened I got really nervous and started saying stupid things.

"Hi, I'm Bonnie Sitter. Some of you may know me, and some of you may not. I'm not really sure which is better-- probably not knowing me. Anyway I write for the paper," I said. "Ireally don't care-- Damn! You'll have to excuse me. I haven't done this piece in 15 years and I didn't plan on auditioning. I thought there would be less people, so I said, 'Why not?" and I dug up this old pice from William Shakespear's 'A Midsummer Nights Dream.' This is Helena."

And then I did it. Well, I sort of did it. I'm really not sure how it went. I only wish I could have conjured up naked people in my mind like my mother always told me-- then again I probably would have really gotten sick if I'd done that. Naked people ceased being humorous when I was in the 8th grade.
In the end, I forgot one line or at least I bumbled a line. In stead of "coats in heraldry," I said "coats in chivalry" (what the heck?) My face probably gave that one away. Anyway, I got through it, and at least I was quite sure it wasn't the worst butchering of the monologue even done. It was acceptable little theater fare for this area.

Then Maggie went up and was fabulous! I was so proud. She recited some poem which I've never heard and was so animated. She was a real natural.

Abby was cute, but was obviously 5 and forgot the lines to Humpty Dumpty, and I like a nut prompted her, thus prompting her to get really flustered. She was like I thought-- way too young. People commented on how adorable she was which made her feel good.

I was sure Maggie would get cast and I hoped I wouldn't because I didn't want Abby to be alone.

Unfortunately my dear friends Maggie and I were both cast, and Abby was told to audition again next year. I felt terrible for her, but she took it in stride.

I'm hoping the director will let her hand out programs or something so she feels important too. I'm sure he will.

I find out what my role is at the first read through tomorrow-- I'm guessing town's woman number 8 because I have to miss a whole week of rehearsal in April (I'm going to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas-- I'd rather stay at the Grand Canyon). But if any of you know of any cool things in Vegas let me know.

BTW, I had to cancel my "office hours" yesterday and this morning, but I will read blogs tonight so I can catch up on all the deeds of the day. Have a fantastic day!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - Town's Woman #8 might not be a bad role!

I always wanted to do theater, but was never brave enough.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

After my crazy introduction-- I can't believe I said those nutty things-- I'm hoping it's town's woman #8. The things I do and say when I am nervous-- at least i wasn't drooling

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a member of the company is a good thing- less stress than having one of the named roles- I say practice your upstaging technique and bring a flask to the rehearsals!

12:10 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Amazing that you guys got parts can't wait to hear more details. I noticed you missed office hours lol. You will be real busy as if you weren't before. They would have been nuts not to give you a part.

7:39 PM  
Blogger wayabetty said...

WOW! Congrats to you! I wouldn't be able to do that at all, even if to imagine naked people.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Congrats all around, and especially to Abby for having the courage to audition. That is BIG in my book.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I did theater twice...
it took way toooooo much time.
But I admit it was fun.

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home