Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Friday, March 16, 2007

To be or not to be-- that is the question

I went expecting about 20 or 30 people. If the directors were willing to consider a 3 year old, then they must be pretty desperate. I thought it's going to be a breeze. I've already got a part, right? Right? They did ask me to audition.

Just hours before, I scrounged through my old play books and decided the best bet as far as memorizing in less than 3 hours with a two kids hanging off my legs and one whining in the background was a monologue by Helena from "A Midsummer's Night's Dream."

It had been 15 years or so since I'd "been" Helena, but hey I still pretty much knew the lines, right? I'm an old pro. I've done this a thousand times before-- well, 10 years ago the doing stopped, but I'm sure acting is like riding a bike, right?

But I wasn't prepared for how 10 years of mommyhood had changed me. When I arrived at the theater, there were like 100 people. I know, I know 100 people is nothing, but this was a little theater.

I started sweating. I rethought allowing my 3 year-old to recite Jack and Jill. She's too young. I tried to talk my 5 and 8 year old out of auditioning. We'd just go home and pop popcorn. They'd have none of it.

And so I waited. I sweated. I almost vomited. It was a full blown Vegal response to stress. It's a miracle I didn't pass out on the floor and drool on the carpet.

To make matters worse, Abby leaned over and said, "Mom, I can't remember Humpty Dumpty."
Then I realized I couldn't remember if Helena said "one of the first like coats in heraldry" or was it coats in chivalry or coats in Khol's for me. Damn!

But I had no time to sweat or to tell Abby that all the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put Humpty together again.

My name was called and then . . .

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and then.....? ACK Okay - I'm in suspense.

(I can still remember the monologue from Romeo and Juliet I had to memorize in 9th grade English....and no, I chose the one by Juliet after Tybalt gets offed "Oh, woe is me...")

4:39 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I'll be waiting with baited breath!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

ohhhhhhh a cliff hanger, love it! :)

8:10 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Awwww. Come on!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

midsummers night mare?

10:07 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Aaaaaaa so what happened gotta tell us.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home