Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Decisions, decisions

When I started this blog last year, I was lonely and really unhappy with my situation. My husband was gone three to four complete days every week and nonexistent during the summer. Plus, when he was home, he wasn't "home." He practically lived in the garage or outside, and we never talked.

I was frustrated because I really wanted to go to grad school. For 10 years I'd put the dream on hold. Heck, I hadn't written a story or poem in 10 years-- much less a term paper. And why hadn't I written? I was under the impression that my husband hated my writing.

So many things were negative or at least I felt this way that I needed a creative outlet. I needed to reconnect with my inner "Bonnie"-- that girl whom I had thought left long ago. Over the years of marriage had become so negative and bitter that I failed to see the good things in my life.

My husband is the hardest working man alive-- I swear it. He may not love my writing style or the classics, but he loves me dearly and I think sometimes he is a closet "lover of my words."

I'm also fortunate to get to write a weekly column for a paper and miscellaneous articles for local newspapers and magazines, so it's not like I never write. I just rarely write the kind of stuff that feeds my soul.

What I'm getting at is that over the past year, I've learned a lot about myself and about the cold hard facts of life from bloggers. You all became a happy addiction until it threatened to ruin my marriage. At first I thought to hell with it, I'm unhappy. I'll just start over and be the crazy writer I wanted to be so much -- until I read a blog that gave me some food for thought). I didn't want to be alone or to give up on "happily ever after."

And so I took an inventory of my life, cut back on blogging as it was making my family crazy and signed up for grad school. Through this I learned there is a time and a place for everything and right now I hate to admit it, but my time is not well spent drooling over the classics. Somebody needs to raise the children, so I dropped out and put my dream on hold once again (but this time I am not bitter; I'm realistic. You really can't have it all).

So what is the point of this post? Good question.

I don't want this blog to die, and right now it's dying. I guess I have two choices. I can pull the plug or I can actually do what I love so very much-- read and write. And so, I've decided to make one final go of it. From now on I'm going to have regular "office hours" so I can read blogs and write at least twice a week.

And so, from 7 a.m. until 7:30 a.m., Monday through Thursday I will read blogs. It's not much, but it's all I have right now. I will also post on Tuesday, Thursday and an occasional Wednesday and Sunday. I look forward to reconnecting with you all.

10 Comments:

Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I got scared for a moment, I think that is fantastic, so glad you will still be writing and reading. I can't bare to see you or your blog go. You love it so and it's wonderful that you are doing this for yourself, you deserve as much happiness as possible. So continue to nurture that inner Bonnie we love so:)

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bonnie-

I think its good to have balance in your life. I too would love to live in a world of Ovid and Virgil. But it doesn't happen. And it can't. And blogging too- its a healthy outlet for our creative impulses, but too much of it and its like a full time job. I'm glad you're trying to come to a place that's more sane and healthy. Heck, I cut back too- I can only write so much and read so much. So...take a deep breath, step away from the computer and...relax! S'all good.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, blogging can become a bad habit. I've been trying to only blog during lunch and AFTER I get all those other important things done (and in the evening when my husband reads to the kids before bed).

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH - and get yourself to:

www.bloglines.com

You input your favorite blogs and it will tell you which ones have updated (no more clicking around to find out)

1:42 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

Oh yes, please keep blogging. I think your new plan is a good one. I LOVE to blog, even if it's only reading posts from time to time and posting when the inspiration strikes me! :)

6:47 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I have struggled with similar issues.

I second the bloglines comment.

Glad that you will still be around. Seems like there are a lot of bloggers planning on cutting back lately.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

addictive, it is. (Thats my yoda impression of the evening.... star wars isn't a classic but I'm sure you know the little guy.)

welcome back to blogville

8:51 PM  
Blogger wayabetty said...

I've been in a "blogging slump" lately too Bonnie! I don't know what else I can write about with 3 kids, a 6 month belly, sciatica, upkeep of the house/cook, etc...

But my hubbie loves what I write so I will continue on and ramble on my blog to anyone who cares to read it. And I'm glad you made the decision not to quit!

5:27 AM  
Blogger Zephra said...

Great! I was hoping you would start to be regular. I always come away from one of your posts feeling like you really get life.

6:35 AM  
Blogger BD said...

For some reason now, I feel guilty...

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home