Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A little VD goes a long way

And so it's Valentine's Day, a day that always makes me think of VD (because of the initials not because of some little V-Day gift of years gone by-- I have more class than that-- not much, but it is true there is class somewhere in these veins).

Years ago, I used to get as furry as a kitten around Valentine's Day, wondering what kind of trinket I was getting this year. These were the high school years and the answer was always the same: I wasn't getting no stinkin' candy gram or carnation bouquet-- not now, not ever. The boys in my life always managed to dump me just days before VD and the big dance requiring me to wear some big, obnoxious red polka dotted dress and red lipstick.

But today, VD is no big surprise, really. I'm getting something and well sex is pretty much a given. Ho-humm! What is there to look forward too, anymore? A box of Godiva? Some roses? A steak?

Well, dear readers, it is true. I'm stuck in a rut. If this were a children's book, I'd be the piggy in the puddle in the muddy little puddle or some duck stuck int he muck, but I'm not-- I'm just a woman waiting for -- something. Have any of you felt this way?

This is the first VD that I just don't give a flying foosball what happens-- because really nothing happens. I've been married for nearly 10 years-- we're tapped out of ideas. We're boring. We're comfortable. We're old shoes in need of a shine.

Anyhoo, I really do hope you all get something spicey and naughty, and who knows maybe this year will be saucy. But chances are, I'll be fixing some big fancy dinner for five. There will be no Godiva (and you know what I don't want it). There will be no roses because roses stopped years ago. They really are so unpractical. So what will there be?

Just the quiet comfort of two adults who have seen it all, done it all and who just want some peace and quiet-- and you know what that is the sweetest gift I could ask for-- a night with my husband (and children until 8 or 8:30 p.m. because everyone is out on VD) just being boring people.

OK I am lying just tidge. All I really want is to feel excited about the day again. Is VD only for the young and child-less?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think so - VD is for the single women who want jewelry and the single men hoping to get lucky.

I'm taking my kids to swim lessons and them coming home and cooking dinner as usual.

12:26 PM  
Blogger A Heimishe said...

We got a nice snow storm for VD this year and glad I got this at least :)

Happy Valentines Day!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

We don't do anything really either. I got my hubby the DVD "Talledega Nights, The Ballad of Ricky Bobby." How's that for romantic?? Oh well.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bonnie- Oh how I wish I were in your rut. Yes there is some excitement about being single, but I would trade it in any day for a nice comfortable cuddle with my very own lovely.

I hope the kids went to bed early...and stayed there. :)

10:25 PM  
Blogger ... Paige said...

Love is something to be celebrated every day! When it is "all" saved up for one big day a year the expectation out weights the reality.

Expect love everyday! It can come in the smallest of things, a smile from a passing stranger, a giggle from your child, a glint in your spouse's eye.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

I hate VD. I think it's just sad and yucky. For VD, which I don't celebrate by the way, we got Chad all ready for surgery and got the house picked up. Oh and put away a whole bunch of laundry. Yes, VERY exciting. And we've been married 15+ years. :) Hope SOMETHING exciting happened for you. I can think of all kinds of crude nasty suggestions, but I won't, cuz your mother reads this blog. hahahahhaha :) :)

10:46 AM  
Blogger BD said...

Theres a million ways...

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home