Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Friday, March 02, 2007

What kind of Mom am I!

This week I had the insane desire to be a TV mom from the 50s.

I’m OK with giving up the whole women’s rights thing at the moment-- if only I could have that set of pearls, a teensy tiny waist, pointy bra and high “practical” heeled house shoes.
And one thing more. My hair must be set in foam rollers so it lies just like June Cleaver’s short neat curls.

Perhaps that dream is a little unrealistic. No one has that much patience and talent for making pot roast.

Plus, my kids aren’t exactly the Beaver and Wally. They are more like sweet rain in the middle of a wind storm-- loud, destructive at times yet sweet-tasting and good for the plants. Plus, they wear better clothes and tell better stories.

For instance, the other day Abby, my middle child, got a Barbie for her birthday. It wasn’t just any Barbie (they never are). It came complete with a dog that “really” poops.

“I can’t make him poop,” Abby said.
“Push on his tale,” Maggie the eldest said. “Look at all that poop. It comes out in little pellets.
Hey Nikki stop eating the poop. Maaaawm! Nikki is eating all the poop. Give me that poop back.”
“Noooooo! It’s my poop,” Nikki the youngest said.
“Nikki get off the poop,” Abby said. “Mom Nikki is sitting on the poop and I want to put it in his mouth.”

And so, I’ll take my wish back because as June I’d have to confiscate the poop dog and these are the conversations I live for. So instead I want to be the Robitussin mom, AKA. Dr. Mom.

I’m alright with wearing mom jeans and a white button down top.

Year ago, when Maggie was a baby, I was under the impression that all sick kids acted like Dr. Mom’s.

Of course the first time Maggie got the flu I realized Dr. Mom’s life has been edited for TV.

Dr. Mom’s kids never threw up on the sofa, howled incessantly or dare I say had a case of Roto virus that caused large quantity of fluids to pour from both orifices at the same time.

Dr. Mom never did laundry. And she never sat in the waiting room at a pediatrician’s office and held a bucket or wondered why the Tylenol had to kick in now because her kids were running a marathon in the lobby.

Dr. Mom’s kids never went to the doctor.

All she had to do was walk around, carrying a spoon and saying things like “It’ll be all better.”

Her kids lay still in bed with rosy cheeks one minute and were sitting up reading a book or drinking juice the next because Dr. Mom’s tonic cured them.

I wonder if Dr. Mom really had Robitussin in her bottle-- or is it something else?

Well I could have used some this week.

This week was Flu Week In the Sitter household. The temperature never got out of the 100s and the kids never got off the couch.
But I discovered two things. If my kids have a fever, they sleep, so fevers are not entirely bad.
However, if I give them a dose of Tylenol, I’m taking my sanity into my own hands because Tylenol is the elixir of life. It can make a sickly flu stricken child ready for “That’s so Raven” and “Hanna Montana--” hours of it. Disney music, Disney teens will croon through my TV and drive me to the brink of insanity if I hand over the elixir.

And so, I decided to hold onto it unless the kids were really whining or in pain.

I guess I’m not exactly Dr. Mom because Dr. Mom is never worried.

I find myself checking out my daughters’ eyes to see if green stuff is coming out of them. I find myself looking for rashes and kissing foreheads every 10 minutes.

And my girls are never banished to the bedroom. They all piled on my lap and ate gallons of homemade chicken noodle soup (all but Nikki. All Nikki would eat were suckers and I handed them over because she doesn’t have any love handles to give up).

And so, I guess I wouldn’t make a very good Dr. Mom.

Maybe I’d be a better reality TV Mom, but I can tell you for sure I never want to be one of those girls because they are just plain weird.

This week in the TV mom chronicles, moms fought over their daughter’s dead bodies, some mothers became germ aphobs and others banished their families to an all raw diet and embraced their local bacteria.

I think I’ll stick with being me-- Disney tormented, tired (really tired from all that kidly coughing) and ready for a long nap with the kiddies.

*Previously published inthe Paradise Post 2-24-07 (I'm sick so I'm digging through the archives of my column-- sorry)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not alone -

However, I had this thought the past month (after coming down with hives due to an Amoxicillan allergic reaction): Benadryl could be given to my children if I really really really needed some sleep. I've never done this, but the thought is there...

I hope everyone is feeling better soon!!!!!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I think the noro viruses have been much more potent the past few years.

I hope Barbie's dog doesn't get it.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I'd love to say something about my kids not being sick much this winter, but then that would cause them to get sick. So I won't say that.

I'd like June's tiny waist too. Or anyone's tiny waist.

I hope winter is over soon.

7:28 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

What exactly is the poop made of? Eeew gross, what a thought, never heard of that, I want to try and find it online and my daughter better not ever find out about it. Hope all gets back to normal whatever that means lol. That image of moms in the 50's is overrated anyway I like the real Bonnie mom image much better:)

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, sorry you're still sick. Hope you're doing better soon. Now about you, are you expelling fluids from all orifices? Are you dripping green stuff out of one nostril and having in hang down over your top lip? Are you feverish and then chilled? Thankfully as adults we don't have to go through the same crud that the kids get- mostly.

Feel better!

Then wear the white shirt and pumps.

1:33 PM  
Blogger wayabetty said...

You are a better Mom than a lot of others out there Bonnie, Dr. Mom or not!

As for the Roto virus! That got to be the worse! Florescent green poop anyone?! I certainly don't wish that again in our household. But I hope everyone will be better very soon!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

A fever is your body's way of telling you to get some rest

that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I have to avoid giving my daughter tylenol too! I give it to her and in 15 minutes, she is running in circles like a wind-up doll! I have found that anything with acetaminophen will hype her up.

This last cold, however, she had a bad cough and runny nose. I gave her Triaminic and it has an antihistimine in it. Knocked her on her adorable little tush.

I am far from Dr. Mom. But I think both my daughter and the Mister look forward to getting a little sick. I baby the HE double L outta them.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home