Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

More weirdness

We are all a touch weird. As for me, the weirdness continues, and so good listeners pull up a couch and listen to what's on the stage within my house:

The heroine reveals a secret.

Sometimes I feel as though I'm staring into a looking glass and just beyond my grasp is the life I left behind. I loved the theater. I haven't been to a play in 10 years-- ten bloody years-- oh the torture. the horror. God save the queen this is dreadful!

Swaying back and forth like the crazy woman she has become, she explains.

I'm a mother now with only her memories.
Being on stage was a thrill -- whether it be reciting my poetry or kissing an ass in "A Midsummer's Night's Dream." Oh that ass was grand-- six foot tall with big brown eyes and breath like cheap peppermint candy.

Suddenly she realizes people are watching.

Oh, all ass kissing aside, I am now a mother with much grander responsiblities and play acting to attend to. This is my new stage: reading "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" aloud to my 7-year-old. After playing "Heidi" and all the characters from "The Wizard of Oz," I decided to move onto to something a little more controversial-- wizards and muggles.

She trips over the Little People stable and steps on a plastic cow, but she keeps her smile like a pro-- never breaking her supreme concentration. She continues.

But still, I'd be a liar if I said I didn't miss the real stage, and so like I wrote -- oh so bizarrely in my last post-- sometimes when no one is looking, I see if I've "still got it." Oh but please don't get me wrong. I go nuts when I think people don't understand me, and so few people understand me. Oh don't make me pace the floors!

She sits on the couch and turns off yet another episode of "Hannah Montana."

I just don't want you to think that when my daughters gang up one me that I leap into the room and spout off " Now I perceive, they have conjoin'd all three to fashion this false sport, in spite of me" or that while doing laundry, I'll suddenly start wringing my hands and say "Out damn spot, out I say!"

Please, please my Shakespeare is my greatest secret and ""Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't."

The curtain falls. She downs a glass of wine and commences with folding laundry.
In 10 years, she will be competing with 70-year-old divas at the local little theater for role of "The Nurse" in "Romeo in Juliet." She might have to result to violence, but by golly she is going to get the role-- and then all the world will know. She still knows the lines.

10 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

TO BE ..(weird)..OR NOT TO BE....

THAT IS THE QUESTION.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

You know, I don't think that's weird at all. In fact, I think you're pretty normal.

I think about the me I might have been under different circumstances, if I had chosen a different path.

I think I chose the best path for me.

I hope I'm around to see you in your play at 70.

off to write my "weird" meme...

8:19 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

To thou I quote: Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

Bonnie, you're just great!

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's not weird at all. I agree wtih Heather.

That is why I named my blog Dreaming What ifs....because that is what I do all day long.

What if I had not married my hubby. What if I had taken that other job. What if I had moved to such and such. What if I had written my best selling novel...

We all dream of what our life could have been - even when we are happy in the one we've got. (I might have married George Clooney, dammit).

1:16 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

I soo relate to this...
As a Leo..and someone who's performed in the past..
But I still get opportunities..but not the way I'd love to if I didnt have to worry about supporting a family..

btw..I love how this was written..

6:43 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

You are more normal than you think. Awesome writing I am jealous of your terrific writing skills.

6:51 AM  
Blogger but Momma said...

I hope you DO go around the house spouting sonnets at the girls. When in context,you can actually understand it, they'll be way ahead when they get to high school!

And there's a fine line between the weirdest Mom, and the coolest one.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I will come and design your sets.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also don't think that you are all that weird- other than being an excellent writer, you're pretty darn normal.Sorry.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Zephra said...

I don't know why I don't read you more often. I love the way you write. Your blog got lost in my favorites in the great computer crash last year. I am adding you again and will be visiting more.

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home