Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I'm leaving on a jet plane

But I'll be back next week--- yeeeeehaw! It's off to Texas-- home of shopping, the Riverwalk and of course the Alamo.

I bid you all ado because I am insanely superstitious and believe that if I don't say my goodbyes then the plane will surely go down. And so, I will be up most of the night writing "see you soon. I love you" letters to all the members of my family.

I'm like this with shoes too. My husband and I were in New Orleans two days before Katrina, and I am sad to say I forced my husband to spend the day looking for shoes (hey, a girl needs a good pair of shoes).

Anyway, I found them. Loved them--- until I heard the price. My husband begged me "Please, buy the shoes."I'm sure he envisioned more hours of shoe shopping in the blasted humidity. But I refused. I'm not paying ***** for a pair of shoes. Hours later,I settled on a lesser pair.

And then, New Orleans was drenched. I'm sure the shoes were too--- and all because I was cheap. I swear that was the reason. Now whenever I find the perfect shoe, I don't even ask, I just hand over the card (we can't risk another natural disaster on my account).

On a lighter note--- Spanish is DONE. I am SO incredibly happy not to have to hablar anymore (unless I want to hablo because we all hablamos).

Although I do wish I had a friend who would habla with me in Texas because it would be fun to talk in Spanish around Anglos who don't understand a word we say. Now I know how the maid across the street must have felt --- man the power-- I'd feel like such a spy. My mother says these types of desires are completely rude because I really shouldn't talk in a foreign language that no one else in the house speaks. And so, as soon as I get off the airplane, I'm looking for someone who speaks Spanish so we can hablamos.

Well, I will hablo some more from the Lone Star state, but in case I don't--- I just want to wish all my Jewish friends a Happy Hanukkah.

See you all soon-- and maybe I'll even have some new shoes. Hasta Luego!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

zapatos nuevos


thats all I remember

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My eighth grade Spanish class I class comes to mind. It began with the question "Donde esta la zapateria?"

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I barely speak English, I have NEVER taken a foreign language...so I am no help. Did you ace your final? I think I blew mine....oy...

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be safe, Bon!
Loved your hysterical post!!!
I get superstitious like that too...
although I have yet to write many letters..
love the idea though.
Have a great time!

3:21 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

San Antonio looks like a beautiful city..Its on my list of places to see..

so enjoy..!

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would totally hablo con tigo...if I was going to Texas. Sadly, no puedo porque necesito trabajar. The good news? I'll have mucho dinero para TODOS los zapatos que quiero. But, I'll probably blow it on something else, like regalos or comida del perro *sigh* Have a good trip!

10:05 PM  
Blogger the only way i know said...

by the way, Bon..
that second to last anonymous person was me (towik) ..just forgot to sign my name...

4:48 PM  
Blogger Zephra said...

What a great time to come to Texas. The weather is simply wonderful. Enjoy yourself.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

I hope you are having fun..can't wait to hear how Ben fared all on his own with the girls..what do you want to bet he didn't buy tights at all for Maggie? :)

11:49 AM  
Blogger Babaloo said...

Hee Hee... guess which anonymous poster I was? Didn't mean too... Just turned out that way :-)

2:17 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Hope you are having a blast.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home