Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Friday, December 08, 2006

When she's in love with another woman, what do you do?

Someone has been sleeping in my bed, and she isn’t 10-years-old or in search of porridge and child-sized rocking chairs.

No but she has been eating my tiramisu, sleeping in my good sheets and flopping on my cushy couch.

My husband is beside himself. He doesn’t know what to do. He never really thought I’d act this way-- jealous of the woman usurping my place.

Quite frankly, I’m shocked that he was so clueless. I am the queen bee or I was until she arrived and started inching in on my territory.

My husband is innocent of any sort of treasonous activity. He has yet to bring a dog into my house or into my garden-- as for another woman, he knows one is expensive enough and a second one would make him pay for years, so I know I am quite safe.

My mother, on the other hand, has no loyalty.

She has taken up with another woman-- a surrogate daughter.

Yes, it is tragic. I’ve been gone far too long, and while I am content with “waiting for her,” she is no longer content with waiting until the day she retires and we can be reunited once more. Her Visa “frequent flyer” miles aren’t adding up fast enough. She’s lost all hope and has found herself someone else to shop with.

I was alright-- well sort of alright-- with the shopping.

But they got too cozy and started going to tea rooms for lunch-- the same tea rooms we used to frequent.

Then, they baked Christmas cookies together.

For 33 years, I have either baked those darn cookies with her or at least been on the phone with her while she stirred the batter. But this year, someone else was sifting the flour and that someone else is called Stephanie.

I know, I sound petty. I should be happy my mother has found someone so nice to hang out with, to shop with, to lunch with, to gossip with and to complain with.

Stephanie is cute, funny and has an adorable little boy. I’d probably hang out with her if I still lived in Texas. We’d be buddies and I’d probably invite her for cookie day. But this is different because while they are out laughing and burning up their Visa cards, I am the crazy woman shopping by herself and discussing options with the poor sales ladies. I’m the woman those poor clerks fear the most. I actually want their help-- heck I long for their help, an adult to talk with on the day after Thanksgiving.

And so, after a sad lunch alone and a laugh-less five-hour shopping spree, I get to listen to the adventures of Patricia and Stephanie.

“And she is staying in your room,” my mother said ever so starkly. “Her husband is out hunting and I didn’t want her to be all alone.”

“My husband is gone four days a week,” I said. “I’m alone all the time. He goes on hunting trips, but --- she’s in my bed.”

“Yes, and we’re watching TV in my room,” she said.

Now my dear readers, only my daughters and I are family enough to flop on my mom’s feather bed and watch TV (if any of you are thinking bad thoughts, release those thoughts immediately because it is all innocent).

And the digging gets deeper.

“We must have baked 20 dozen cookies today,” she said.

“I have to go,” I said. I was on the verge of tears and didn’t want to be so pathetic as to cry on the phone.

“Oh, by the way, could you look online for the Pirates of the Caribbean Costco set?” my mom said. “My computer isn’t working and I wanted to get it for **** (Stephanie’s son). You‘ve got my credit card number.”

And so I did my mother’s Christmas shopping for surrogate daughter and her little boy too.

Perhaps, my mother thinks I am funny. I try to laugh it off, but the truth is I’d really like a surrogate mother of my own, but I never looked for one-- because I didn’t want to hurt my mother.

I guess, in the end, I was wrong to be so loyal. Perhaps, I too will one day move on. My daughters are growing up , and one day soon, I am sure my own mother will feel as I do today -- as no doubt, my babes and I will have many adventures of our own.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should make everyone happy and make 20 dozen servings of tiramasu and serve them in the costco pirates set. I've seen the set. Its cool. And if it were filled with yummy Italian desserts, that would be even better.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

You make me laugh-- thanks amishav

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that's so sad :( Maybe you are being silly, maybe not, regardless though I think it's completely natural, and more importantly, human. I would be feeling just as you are. I like Amishav's idea! hehe

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS. Thanks for your comment on my blog :) Things have improved with the wee one and he's not such a screamer anymore thank god!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh hon, it's hard being away from family at this time of year.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

You know its gone too far when Stephanie starts "Borrowing" your clothes. Then, you have my permission, to go kick some S-butt.

2:29 PM  
Blogger BD said...

Panna Cotta always goes down well...

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to call my sis-in-law .. and get acquainted.
... hmmmmmm ...

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have fits of jealousy occasionally over my Mom with my sister-in-law.

We do grow up sometime right?

11:05 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Saffron-- I love your blog-- your babe is so adorable. Yes, I was being silly, but I do think my silliness got the better of me at the end of post-- I didn't realize how much it bugged me.

leah-- it sure is

karmyn-- she won't start borrowing my clothes-- that will never happen. For one thing, we are 3,000 miles apart. For another thing, I will not let it happen. I am trying to be positive. I think in the end I'll really like her-- and it is good that my mom is having some fun (it just stinks sometimes)

bd-- yes, it does

pamela-- is this a good thing or a bad?

heather-- I think this is what I have to do-- grow up. Bummer deal. But does she have to sleep in my bed?

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish i had such a warm and close relationship with my mom..for some reason...i was never able to feel that way...
but reading your post...i know she would love to bake dozens of cookies with me..
it sounds like such a wonderful bond..
after so many year..i think i should work on mine..

3:31 PM  
Blogger Sara with NO H said...

I think I always had this problem and still have it with my younger sister. I have to be a little careful what I say these days in blogworld because my mom seems to check it lol. I think that it's only normal to be jealous of someone close to your mother though. I'm with Saffron here. I like Amishavs idea the best. Have you considered telling her at all how you feel or it probably be blown off as an overreaction?

6:54 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

only way I know-- we do have a good relationship-- it's just sometimes a little "catty." But you know as much as it upsets me, I would never ask her to ditch her friend because she is happy-- and that is nice. I think I'm upset because she is happy and I am not AS happy. I'm lonely sometimes.

Sara-- I have tried to tell her. She just thinks I'm funny-- and that is good in some ways because deep down I want her to be happy.

7:44 AM  
Blogger kasamba said...

My mother befriended my best friend who happens to be between both of us in age. So I'm here in dismal London while they gallavant all over NYC together.
I'm with you on this!

5:10 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Feel good at least it's company.

4:42 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Oh Lordy Bonnie, can I relate... when my mom and her boyfriend first got together she was always doing something or the other with his daughters... I would call and get,"Oh, I am just on my way out to lunch with Roz...I'll call you later..."

It sucked to no end and I finally blew up at her in a very immature - you - are - my - mother - not - theirs kind of a way...

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh,Ms. Bonnie! I am so sorry you are so lonely. I feel responsible since we live in the same town.
I am just REALLY busy and have a gazillion things going on.....you're my all time fav writer and I love you to pieces. Does THAT help? ;)


But, on to your Mom. I think your feelings are very normal and natural. I hope you have a great vacation there in Texas shopping with her! :)

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you HAVE a bedroom! It seemed like my folks had the blueprints out on the kitchen table before I was packed. Yeesh!

5:17 PM  
Blogger BD said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home