Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Shifting sands

Somewhere out there must be a big black hole sucking up time. Where does it all go? Wasn't it just yesterday, my GG and I were digging in the dirt near Yellowstone and looking for rubies? My hair french braided. Hers fashioned in silvery curls-- lots of them. Even though it was a beautiful shade of silver and not a more youthful chestnut or blonde, I was secretly jealous. Her hair at 63 made Rapunzel look like a dog with a summer cut. Her cheeks were flushed with activity as we squatted and sifted sand, looking for twinkles of red rocks.

I still have them somewhere in the attic of my parent's house-- those rubies are tucked in between cotton and stuffed in a white box.

My GG is now 85 with white thinning hair. She sits in a hard rocker in the corner of the room and rocks silently-- unnoticed, just an observer. This woman-- who lead us down Scout Road and up the "big hill" when I was little and wanted pine cones -- is now a quiet observer to life.
When did it happen? When did she suddenly get old?

I remember I moved out here 10 years ago. I was just two hours up the road by car. I thought we'd do all sorts of things together, but my life got in the way-- children, gas prices, work. Who could spare a moment for one when four sets of eyes are asking me for one at home? We used to talk on the phone once or twice a week. When did that stop? Was it when her ears gave out? I'm not sure, but I did. It was always too hard to pack up the kids and take them to GGs. I went more than anyone else, but not enough. I know that now.

This Thanksgiving I met up with GG at my uncle's cabin. She looked grey in the face. Her legs were hard, purple and swollen. When she breathed, her chested wheezed. There was a walker in the corner-- what? Why? This women never needed help from anyone, and now a walker? I made small talk, but it was useless to carry one a real conversation. She seemed to talk in circles, never reaching the end-- just circling back to the beginning. So we talked about the past-- panning for rubies in Yellowstone, camping up at Cisco Grove, driving from Texas to California in an RV (and breaking down over and over and over).

She told me she doesn't fear death. I feel as though I am in a race, running in the doey legs of an 11-year-old, trying to find the lady I left back at the ruby mines. She is sitting right in front of me. I know, but? Why can't we sift through the sand, slow down time, slow it down for a moment? I've let so much slip through my fingers and I've lost her. I know she is there somewhere-- her flushed cheeks and silver hair. I know she is there. Now if I could just find her.

12 Comments:

Blogger Karmyn R said...

Sniff sniff - yes, and one day it will be the same for you and me...and I wonder if we will be remembering that same thing about ourselves.


Moral: Enjoy each moment with our children. Time is fleeting.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see you have some spam



silver and old is looming fast for me.

I never had a grandma to do those things with. I think you are luck

7:08 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

karmyn-- exactly-- we should-- though I fear no matter how hard I try, I don't enjoy them enough

Pam-- I am lucky, and thanks-- I kicked the spamsters off

8:06 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

You so fondly captured the frailty of aging...
Its where we're all headed..(hopefully)

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a bittersweet thing, getting old. On the one hand you've had all this time to live, on the other, our bodies and minds tend to break down as we age and I wonder about the quality of life.

My grandparents all died young. Craig's grandfather lived to 90 but died before any of my kids were born. He had pretty good quality of life still, except for that last year.

My Aunt is fond of saying "this too shall happen to you" whenever we laugh at the foibles of getting older. I just respond "if I'm lucky!"

7:29 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Loved the way you expressed your thoughts as usual.

5:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, that was one heavy post. I mean, I know we're all going to die, but I hope that we all don't get robbed of our individuality before we go the way you describe GG. Its not the death that is tough from you description it is the death in life that is most difficult.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how you create images using words. I love how you share your heart with us, too.

Thank you.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought about my father as I read your post. In one single moment, a stroke transformed him from a hard-working, social, happy man to a partly-paralyzed, uncommunicative, and unresponsive person I barely knew.

It isn't fair, but like your memories of digging for rubies, I too carry sweet memories of him, and that's what I choose to remember.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

That's the thing I wish the most... that my grandma could have known my kids... she would have loved them.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

What a wonderful and sweet post! Makes me cry and miss my Grammy. I should go call her right now since I'm home sick today.

thanks!!!!!

12:30 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

Bonnie, no one writes as well as you do.

Darn, my mascara is running now. (sniff)

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home