Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving reminder

All too often people tend to focus on what is lacking in their lives: money, a fancy car, respect or a nicer home. In short there is a lot of complaining in this world. Whining and belly aching do little to instill change or to get you the things you want. It will just serve you up a nice tension headache and take your focus off all the blessings you have in your life. Worse yet, your complaining just might be contagious and could cause others to join in the chorus-- thus causing a national migraine.

This is why I love Thanksgiving Day. It is the one day of the year when people are supposed to forget about their desires and afflictions and focus on their blessings. It is also the one day when families are practically mandated to sit down for dinner and look at one another. Sometimes people are so busy, they don’t stop to look and listen. If we did, maybe there would be less complaining and more understanding. Maybe there would be more reasons to love and celebrate the gifts that we have. Sometimes it is easy to forget that the most precious gifts aren’t material.
You can’t buy them. Well, you can’t buy authentic ones-- friends and family. But it is also strange that many of us often take these most precious gifts for granted. Fortunately, true friends and family are also the most forgiving. They are the shoulders we cry on when things go wrong, the ears we vent to when we are really mad and the eyes we smile at when things are just right.

May today be a “just right kind of day.”

I am blessed to live a small, quaint community that is relatively safe and that pulls together during times of need. I am blessed to have a family that cherishes me even when I am not so charitable or forgiving. I am blessed to be able to complain and to want and to celebrate my triumphs in life. I am blessed to have family and friends and a day that celebrates them all.

14 Comments:

Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Bonnie that is so nice. At this time I think I will take the opportunity to thank you for being such a great friend:).

1:49 PM  
Blogger but Momma said...

Happy Thanksgiving Bonnie!

If shopping in Texas is anywhere near Houston, send me a shout out!

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you said things that touched me.

9:46 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

Beautiful post!

6:18 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Beautifully expressed..
May your Thanksgiving post be twice as long next year..

6:36 AM  
Blogger BD said...

I have nice memories of my first Thanksgiving...

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen sista. we all do have so much to be thankful for! :)

12:21 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

swfm-- and I to you-- thanks

but momma-- I hope to skip down to Houston, but right now all I know for sure is that I'm going to San Antonio-- yeeeehaw!

pamela-- happy to be touchy feely in a writing sort of way-- sorry I'm feeling corny. i absolutely cannot help it

kasamba-- thanks

david on the lake-- and may I have twice as much time to write it-- thanks-- or maybe I should just learn to make better use of the time that I have


bd-- glad to hear that


jodi-- no kidding. I'm just thankful to make it through each day

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kind of puts it all in perspective.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Sara with NO H said...

Im a little late to say Happy Thanksgiving so Ill just say this was such a sweet post. Everyone, everywhere has something to be thankful for even if its only the little things that keep the world going round. I think its hard at times to remember there is always someone worse off even on the worst days.

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't buy a day like thanksgiving- it is really our best holiday don't you think?

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm late, but Happy Thanksgiving Bonnie!!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

That was a beautiful post. I'm thankful, too, this year. For health and happiness and a job and a wonderful relationship and a good place to live. But I'm also thankful that in 2006 I made a lot of really great new friends. Blog friends. I love it!

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home