Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Excuse me while I suck my thumb

Bah Humbug, but this is going to be a doozie of a day! I am preparing for what could be a terrible, horrible, no good very bad day, but who knows maybe I'll catch a break, the clouds will clear and the sunshine will pour into my world.

This morning at 8 a.m. I have my first major parent-teacher conference of the year. I say, major conference because my conferences with this teacher are so frequent that I must now rate them by level of seriousness. Lucky me, I've been meeting with said teacher every Thursday since the beginning of school so we can "discuss Maggie." This is one reason I've been MIA in bloggerspace.

Now you might think my Maggie must be a trouble maker, a mouthy child, a downright "at-risk" child to warrant so many conferences, but truth be told, she's a pretty good kid. She's empathetic, sweet, outgoing and smart. She's also a touch hyper and easily distracted-- though not to the point where it interferes with her work.

So what pray tell is this teacher's problem with my daughter? Maggie is a hair-chewer. It's a nervous habit brought on by a hatred of math. The more math you serve this child, the "crunchier" her hair becomes. I have tried nasty tasting hairspray, french braiding it and putting it up in topsy tails, but the child becomes so nervous she rips out the hairstyles and commences with her comfort food. Now, the more said teacher complains about Maggie's little habit, the more nervous she becomes and the more she chews.

My teacher's solution: move Maggie next to a kid with ADHD. Maggie cannot take distractions. She asked to be moved because this kid was destroying her school supplies. Her teacher told her to deal with it. And so Maggie became even more nervous and had trouble focusing in school. Her math skills deteriorated-- as did her confidence. And so, her teacher kept her in from recess so she could work on her math-- only no one was actually helping Maggie. She just sat in room all by herself and counted her fingers and toes.

My solution: after weeks of arguing with the teacher and explaining Maggie's home situation, I cut off my baby's beautiful (and I mean beautiful) long, blonde hair. Her hair was so beautiful; it looked fake. I know I should have fought like a mother bear-- I did. But in the long run, I was worn down. I had too many things to deal with and my daughter's hair was one thing I could control. Cut it off and the lady will shut up.

Now magically, her teacher has discovered that Maggie has trouble in math and needs help-- oh and that her classmate is a distraction.

I'd like to give that woman a refresher in listening skills (among other things).

And so today, I get to meet with said lady-- and my husband is stuck on duty so all three kids get to come along-- this should be fun!

I'd pull her from the school, but it is the best one on the Ridge. In the long run though it might not be the best one for my daughter, so I may end up pulling her out and homeschooling her.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry this is happening...Annika has the same nervous habit, and it's a hard one to figure out. We, too, made the decision to chop the hair, and her hair chewing became nail biting. (sigh).

As far as the school thing goes, can your daughter switch to a different teacher? We, personally, are planning to homeschool. Let me know if you're truly interested -- I have a lot of resources.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

I can't switch teachers because there is only one teacher per grade. I am interested in homeschooling. It's not my first choice, but if this school doesn't work out, I don't really have much of a choice. I guess I could do straight up public school. We do have some decent schools in the area. I just prefer her school because it is small. I would ahve pulled her out in an instant, but I keeping her in so my other daughters can get in-- in case it works for them.

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandma boiling up inside me, even if I don't know you or your daughter.

damn teacher. (I rarely swear, so now you know that I am mad)

I would have switched schools, or demanded a class change.

Is this by any chance a "christian" school. I hope not. I always thought that private schools had the ability to get rid of imcompetent teachers easier than public schools.

Poor kid. I'm going to go cut that teachers hair... and stick her in a corner with a hungry spider

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...

I'm sorry.

Steve~

10:07 AM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

Sorry, nothing intelligent to add..though math has and aaaalways will be a greatly despised subject in my eyes..heck if something remotely stinks of math I run the other way.

Funny thing is with us us math-haters..we're actually people! Why many teachers seem to focus on the problem not the child..is beyond me.


Note To Aforementioned Teacher:

1) If math isn't her favoriet subject, find out what is and integrate math within that framework. If you're lucky [and intelligent enough to make it work], Maggie may be blissfully unaware she's doing what she hates..

2) Find out why she's so loath to do it. Weed out the cause, don't [first] screw around with what happens as a result of it. That's like putting a bandaid on a broken bone.

3) Bon's been gone from us far too long..please do your best to accommodate Maggie so we can have our Bonnie back! (or choose to face the wrath of a myriad of bloggers..)

3:27 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Well sorry I read this after the most recent post.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

That teacher should be spanked thoroughly...

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home