Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

What a week!

I feel like a squirrel who can't remember where he buried the nuts. It's been a sundae of a week-- chilly, sweet, syrupy and full of a bunch of nuts. Brain freeze is the word of the day.

Anyway, the good news is my husband FINALLY came home. The bad news is I had to get out of my bunny slippers and clean the house.

And so he walked through the door and I'd like to say the house sparkled like the Mr. Clean was my personal bald-headed servant, but my house only looked like it was on the verge of inhabitablity 9I don't know if that is a word, but it works for me). The floors were clean, but dull. The counters-- dull. The clutter-- still existed. The kids' rooms-- unvaccumed. The laundry pile-- contained to the laundry room. Oh well, welcome home honey. I need some sleep.

Of course, I didn't get any. My husband barely got any-- and no it wasn't because he just got home and we had "a lot of catching up to do." No Nikki-- the 2-year-old terror-- decided she wanted to sleep with Daddy. Our night was a revolving door, a carousel with squeaky door music and a kid that didn't want to ride and two parents who just wanted off. By 3:30 a.m. she was snug in our bed and hubby was in a recliner. I know shame, shame, shame. Super Nanny would not be proud, but we just got too darn"dizzy" and who can think straigh in a fog.

Out of the fog and into our presod lawn we went the next day. Yes, hubbers decided we needed a couple truckloads of worm dirt so he could spend the day shoveling. I dressed the kids in mud clothes and tossed them into the mountain of madness. They were black within an hour. My dull floors looked like fancy marble (until you walked on them and realized that was dirt swirled on the wood and tile).

The sod gets delivered on Monday!!! It only took five years, but I'm finally getting a lawn.

The rest of the week was spent studying for Spanish. I had an exam and a paper due this week-- yikes! And so I stayed up late every night so I could study. My poor husband spent the week doing dad duty. He got up early, dressed the kids. packed their lunches and shipped two of them off to school. Then he did homework with Maggie at night. He even volunteered at the school and-- cleaned the house.

I must say I am the luckiest gal in the world.

Oh yeah and did I mention he is H-O-T--- HOT!!! A summer fighting fires does a body good. Of course I am now the girl in the mall with the hot guy-- and every wonders "how did SHE get him?" I ask myself this every day.

I have to go I will conclude later.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi bonnie! been real busy with sick kids/sick mommy and cut fingers and and and.

Next time you should plan for a baby sitter when dad's getting ready to come home.

Matt

12:42 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

WOOHOO The hot hubba hubby is home. And I know what you mean about switch sleeping.

When my husband is gone for a week, the kids sleep JUST fine in their own beds. As soon as daddy comes home - 2am, 3am, kids are awake and crawling in bed with us. It never ends.

But you know what? Screw SuperNanny - when your kids are 12, they arn't going to be sleeping with you anymore. Then, some part of you will miss it.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so where is the picture of him in his hat. (:

7:43 PM  
Blogger the only way i know said...

bonnie
just saw your i love creeps and jeeps comment on my post
FUUUNNY GAL!!!!
I think you are just fab!
ttys!

7:16 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

So happy he is home. Hope it's easier now. He better be helping you and being supportive to you.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I too am a mother of 3. My husband a Marine/Student...quite a few parallels in our lives....he has a Spanish test coming up too. Just wish there were some photos on your site! :)

8:53 AM  
Blogger Ashley Lasbury said...

There is a big smile on my face right now. You are the most wonderful writer. I do hope the you score with your "hot" husband. Hats of to you both.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Babaloo said...

I'm so glad hubby is finally home! Yay! Almost (okay equally) as happy as I am to hear about your lawn. That is such great news! I've been getting mine in stages. We've only got one more stage to go and it will all be in! I should post a picture of my half lawn/half dirt back yard.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

You go girl! Lock the door... you CAN keep the kids out for 15-20 minutes!

I would love to see this hunka hunka burnin love.

Oh, my daughter is in my bed right now, as she is EVERY night. Sigh.

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't even talk to me about squirrels...

:)

I am glad to hear your husband is home!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Welcome home Hot Hubbaloo!
Where is a photo, may I ask, of this superhot supernanny? I mean, err, uh, super hot pops... :)

Glad he is home, wish you could sleep, congrats on the lawn! Now, have the Mr. bring home a giant fire hose and that way you can douse the kids before they go inside and ruin your clean floors!!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

Yeah, I want a picture too. And congrats on the new lawn! I can't wait to see it. When he is going back to work? Can the boys and I have a play date????

3:58 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

To clairify: A play date with you and the girls, not a play date with your hot firefighting husband. I mean you can have a play date with him, but not us. EWWW. Sorry, Never mind. What I mean to say is, "when does hubby go back to work? After he is back to work can the kids and I have a playdate with yourself and your adorable girls please?"
Good Lawd.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

Wow, sounds busy. And that guy sounds like he knows how to do a homecoming! Clean house. Volunteering at school. Helping with homework. Taking care of mom's needs. :-) Had to add that last bit.

5:51 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

I hate when Hubby leaves but I LOVE when he comes back!

Enjoy your new lawn!

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wanted to let you i dropped by -- thanks for your comment. i've added you to my bookmarks and will keep reading.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Sara with NO H said...

I'm with pamela. We want pics of him in the hat!

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just watching news about big fire down by palm spring.



where is your husband?

1:47 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Pamela-- he's in Palm Springs-- eeek!!!! I just have to trust his ability. He is a smart guy and a darn good fire captain.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home