Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

So much for conclusions!

I just wanted to drop in for a sec before I take off again.

Last week my husband went duck hunting. It's his annual hunting trip with the boys. I'm not exactly sure what they do their. I can only imagine them sitting around a campfire comparing their plastic duck farms. Some people call these farms decoys, but I really think the men never quite matured past the playing with "Little People" stage of life. These guys have as many types of ducks as Barbie has outfits. We've got enticing ducks, swimming ducks, duck butts (feeding ducks), sleeping ducks, mega ducks, walking ducks, roto ducks that sort of fly and confidence ducks. Each serve some sort of twisted purpose in this sport of duck hunting.

Anyway, my husband came home after six weeks away, ordered a mountain of dirt for our presod lawn and then promptly left for his trip-- you got it after only four days at home. Strangely, I was OK with this trip. What I didn't count on were my children wigging out because dad was MIA-- again. Crying, fighting and back-talking were the words of the day. By the time he returned from his extended weekend of drinking, shooting at things and playing with fire, I was an angry woman.

"So did you have a good time?"I asked.
"Yeah," he said. "Thanks for letting me go."
"Well, I'm glad for you. I really am because while you were gone the kids completely flipped out. they got mouthy. They wouldn't clean their rooms. You know all I want is a clean house and a happy family, but I can't have that because they are angry and won't pick up after themselves. All they wanted was you and I couldn't give it to them." (15 minutes later I stopped talking and took a bath).

I was doubly angery because a dear friend had died the day before he left on his trip and I couldn't find a sitter so I could go to the funeral. I tried going with three kids in tow, but my 2-year-old acted like a 2-year-old so I had to leave.And so I was mad about that too.

And so, my husband feels guilty. What do husbands do when they feel guilty? They lay sod and decide to plan a vacation.

Now I have a gorgeous lawn, and we're leaving for Oregon today to go to Coos Bay and Newport. Sorry Oregon buddies it was so spur of the moment, I didn't get a chance to contact anyone. However, I don't think he'd be game for socializing anyway. He thinks this blogging thing is bizarre and unhealthy. Oh well!

I hope to catch up on blog reading before I leave, but I probably won't get to read much if any because I have to pack-- and pay attention to my duck-killing husband.


PS-- If there are errors in this text, please don't point them out-- I haven't edited or even read this post (as I didn't on the other one). I'm just trying to keep this blog on life support until I can be a good blogging buddy again.

17 Comments:

Blogger Karmyn R said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Might I just say that if my husband had done that - he may have come home to a lot less than a pissed off wife - he may have come home to NOTHING. (not permanent (oops from before), but just enough to get my point across!)

Enjoy your vacation - the weather on the coast is perfect right now! Breathe in your husband and let him play all day long with the kids in the sand!

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to slap him around for you.. in a nice way... though. (:

1:45 PM  
Blogger but Momma said...

A little guilt can be a good thing.

Ya'll have a good time!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Sorry to hear that you lost a friend and weren't able to attend the funeral.

Guilt is sometimes a really wonderful thing...like when it forces a husband to plan a vacation.

Have fun. We'll be here when you get back. As usual!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

Have fun on your trip!!!!! There's lots of great stuff to do in Coos Bay these days! Newport has always been one of my faves. Don't forget to go to Mo's for clam chowder!!!!! (And yummy bread.)

Sorry to hear about your friend. The thing about funerals and services and stuff (and I'm sure you know this) is that you were thinking of your friend on that day and that's really most important.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Six weeks away, four days home, and then off to a duck hunting trip?

You're a better woman than I am!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

you are a MUCH better woman than I. :)

And we LOVE Newport, have a great great time!

And sorry about your friend. That is very sad.

8:26 AM  
Blogger kasamba said...

So sorry to hear about your friend!

Have a fabulous vacation because heaven knows you deserve it!!!
And then you can roll around on gorgeous grass when you come back!!

1:09 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

So sorry about the friend. Hope you enjoy the vacation.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Sara with NO H said...

Thanks for taching me how to get a vacation from my man. I mean once I get a man.

7:32 AM  
Blogger BD said...

I take it everyone is having that kind of week...

1:44 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

oh wow.,..Bonnie on the go...
Enjoy!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Happy Huband said...

WHAT ABOUT THE SEX? ARE YOU GENEROUS IN BED?
DO YOU MAKE HIM HAPPY WHERE IT REALLY COUNTS?

7:42 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Many Names--well, I guess your comment explains why you have so many names

Anyway, I'd prefer to keep my bedroom off the blog

1:15 PM  
Blogger C... said...

that's priceless. A two year old acting like a two year old. My son sometimes reminds me to turn off the windshield wipers because the rain has stopped and I tune them out when they start scraping the windshield and he is 5 years old. I hope I never tune out the red lights.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Many names- dude you post everywhere.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home