Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Come all ye faithful and lead me to the light

Do I have a sign on my back that says "This one's a sinner, come all ye faithful and by all means witness"?
I'm starting to get a complex, really.
This weekend as I sat on my front porch reading "Paradise Lost" in one hand and "The Thirds" in another, two cars of Jehovah's witnesses pulled up in my drive. Now I love a good Jehovah's witness. I"m not bothered by them visiting my house in the least. Really. They are just practicing their religion, so I can be tolerant.
Yes, yes, thank you for your literature. Now may I tell you about my God, and they're off-- well, sometimes they stay and we talk God talk, but usually they go. Everyone is polite. No one is bothered.
What I didn't understand was the ice cream truck that can rolling through at 5:30 p.m.-- just before dinner-- playing Christmas carols. What the heck is up with that? I pulling the chicken out of the oven and the pied piper of children is calling "Oh come all ye faithful." This is too much.
Here's a drumstick for your little drummer boy. A sundae for a Sunday. Have a bomb pop while we jingle some bells.
The worst part. My husband dished out $12 for some frozen religion. Fa-la-la-la----la-la---la---la.

* This post is in no way meant to be disrespectful to any religion or ice cream truck drivers.

13 Comments:

Blogger Pollyanna said...

Okay, so you just had to jump on THAT bandwagon did ya? :) And, two carloads of Witnesses? How do you rate? Did they come together or at different times?? How odd and since I am a JW I can say that with the upmost authority. You must be popular! :)

I HATE it when the ice cream man comes at 5:30. Good Lord. BAD TIMING. 3:30 in the afternoon or 7 PM would be much better. Let's write letters to protest to the Ice Cream Man labor union! And I do NOT even know what to say about the carols in June. Odd, very odd. Maybe he feels like he needs to spread Holiday cheer now because he doesn't usually drive his ice cream truck in Dec.? or maybe it's 'cuz he's feeling festive with the 4th of July coming up but doesn't have the appropriate tunes for the Independance Day. HMMM...questions, I have lots of those and theory's too.

7:32 AM  
Blogger kasamba said...

Hmmm... it's what they put IN the ice cream that i want to know.

When I was in high school, way back when I knew everything, I used to debate with the JW's for sport. Some of them really knew their stuff!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Babaloo said...

The ice cream truck in my neighborhood is all beat up and scary looking. Even my kids don't want anything to do with it (yay me!)

Christmas music? That's hilarious!

9:28 AM  
Blogger the only way i know said...

Hello Bonnie

Gosh youre flavourfull and funny!

Husbands -
aren't they just the cherry on top!
Lol

I'm sure your kids think so -
fa la la la la la la -
see ya!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Jodi-- dear you are my favorite. you can witness to me any time you want. I think they come by in two carloads because I have dirty children-- only two came to my house though
I'll join you in your letter writing campaign

Kasamba I am sure quite postive judging by the way my children acted after eating said ice cream that i was loaded with potentually illegal stimulants.

Babaloo-- so nice to hear from you. I hope today is a good day. I wish your kids could teach my kidsa and my husband to fear the ice cream man too.

The only way I know-- welcome, so gald to have you visiting. Yes, husbands are the cherry on top. Their intentions are always in the right place- but right before dinner-- oh well. It's the law you are required to love your husband and honor his insane decisions (for the most part)

2:28 PM  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Luckily - the ice cream truck has not ventured our way since we moved....with a DQ on every corner they do have a lot of competition.

You wanna know what's funny....as I type this I had someone come ring my doorbell and try to witness to me and my family. No kidding.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

NIcole-- You may be onto something. Last night, it played "Happy Birthday"

5:29 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

bonnie something about you that you can't possible offend me the way you write. You have this clever way of expressing your thoughts.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

socialworker/frustrated mom-- thank you. I would never want to offend anyone. I do have a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses who are my friends and it would sadden me if I offended them or hurt them.

6:37 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I don't think you have to worry as I said. People know you are sweet and respectful.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

soxialworker/frustrated mom-- thank you.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Genendy said...

That's too funny! I thought only MY ice cream truck played christmas carols. Does yours also play lakookaracha? (don't mind my spelling. I don't begin to know how that's supposed to be spelled).

12:40 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Yes it plays La Cucaracha and ahppy birthday and When the Saints Come MArching In-- and jsut about any other holiday tune you can think of

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home