Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Naughty Thursday

Welcome to Naughty Thursday. It’s a day to celebrate love, eat all the chocolate cake you want without feeling guilty and of course do whatever makes you feel just a little bit bad.
For me, it’s my last complete day of the week before my husband comes home for two days and leaves me again-- so it’s my time to just breathe.
In his honor, I’m posting two poems he can’t believe I-- “his pure as the driven snow” bride-- wrote-- and that is why I have Naughty Thursdays because I can be this naughty side of myself-- not quite so pure and not quite so nice.
We all have some saltiness in our lives, so why not let it out.
The first one is a performance piece of poetry I used to perform in college. It is in need of a new title and I’m not crazy about some of the lines-- plus the last stanza doesn’t work. But since we are all just a little bit naughty today, I am hoping for some help-- any help because I do like this poem.
My husband’s response, “I can’t believe you actually read that in public.”
Yes, I did and my mother was sitting in the front row -- amused.
I’d read it to you, but I don’t have the technology.
The second poem is one I wrote in response to Andrew Marvell’s “To His Coy Mistress.” If you haven’t read that poem, it’s quite a little steamy morsel of words-- perfect for Naughty Thursday.


The sweetness of it all sickened me.
Oh, I dreamed of it
The thick, rich fudge-filled piece of heaven.
A delicacy best enjoyed with a friend,
But I’m a big girl now.
I think I’ll do this one solo.
Six layers
Creamy chocolate cake kissing
Fudgey frosting-- all thick and sticky.
Moist spongy pores promising
Ooey bursts of chocolate goo,
A mountain of white swirling up
Surrounding the chocolate,
Winding its way around-- each circle tightening
Its grasp upon the sweet treat,
locking it in place.

Masquerading beneath a mountain of white,
Icy vanilla cream sweats against a fudgey inferno.
Sweet cream seeps into chocolate crevices,
a vanilla creek flows over an almond back,
down the kissing cake and off the plate.
It’s cool drops staining the floor.

I imagined crunching the nutty back
and inhaling the aroma teasing my tongue--
with saltiness.
The succulent satin slipping down my throat
leaving its scent behind.
It won’t be easy to take it slowly,
but I am up for the challenge.
That first bite
Shoveling through the mountain of white,
My trusty fork penetrates
the colossal cake below.
I scoop up a load of ice and goo
and raise the overloaded fork to my lips.
Slowly I encircle the treasure
to scrape the sticky with my teeth.
For a moment I sit savoring.
Hot sticky syrup clings
Comforting every inch
As the cool icy cream caresses
and tickles against my cheek,
flirting with the salty.
It’s too much.
This hot and cold confusion
intensifies the flavor
And the sweetness of it all makes me sick.
It’s an all too familiar flavor.
Hot contentment left cold
A facade of sweetness with a bitter aftertaste.



And now--- poem number two-- if you are up to it.

To Her Lusty Lover: A Response to Marvell’s To His Coy Mistress
Were you man enough and mine,
this lustiness might sway
and we could
Linger in love’s liquor-- You-- the master
powerful and dominating teacher.
Me-- your seductive slave
naïve little girl
because that’s what you want.
My eyes would grow heavy,
half-closed-- focused
on you--
a fragile lamb, my body
awaits-- hot hands.
Sacrifice my body with
burning embers-- Brand
each inch with your scent.
Run-- your fingers upon
tingling flesh-- Lips
pay homage to each breast
Tender within, a crescendo
like you said
wrap ourselves in flames
make the sun run
Up-- but time
We live for today, remember?
You must-- your flame died just as
mine began.
Therefore, sit in your lusty chair,
offer a thousand I love you’s
And if by chance we should ever
burn as one before--
How did you put it?--
The Jews conform
Well then count yourself
lucky
the worms didn’t brunch
upon my virginity.

14 Comments:

Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Very passionate poems in different extremes. Interesting reading the 2 back to back.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

So, let me get this straight. you were NOT writing about choclate cake and ice cream. Hmmmmm...I just DO not get poetry, what can I say???? :)

10:51 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Jodi-- it can be about whatever you like

10:53 AM  
Blogger Babaloo said...

I'm feeling pretty naughty after reading those two poems. Mission accomplished Bonnie B! Aaahh, the chocolate, the chocolate.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

Bonnie B!!!! I absolutely LOVE Andrew Marvell! (Although I sometimes get him confused with Matthew Arnold...ooops.)

Great poems. I used to write quite a bit myself but haven't for a few years. I think you've inspired me to brush a few off and re-work them. maybe post some to my blog. (Maybe next naughty Thursday?)

Thanks again! Great writing!!!!!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

ok, i didn't read #2 (because i have a special fondness for andrew marvell and i like to hear it in my head only in the voice of a particular boyfriend from my past) BUT number one seems to indicate that hubs is in for a night of treats!

6:46 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

kigomanager-- Oh I love Matthew Arnold too-- Tristram and Iseult-- so sad- love it more than Romeo and Juliet-- I know the horrors. How could I say such blasphemy?
As I've gotten older, I've learned to loved them. In my youth, I thought they were a bunching babbling idiots determined to deflock every virgin in town-- i guess today's equivalent would be frat boys-- but I'd fall like a tired rock for those poets today

kristin-- glad you got the poem. It always tickles me when someone does.
I can understand not wanting to read the Marvell one. Besides my mistress does not give him an answer he wants to hear.
I wish someone would read Marvell to me--- to hear a lover's voice reading those lines-- how lucky you are!

9:09 AM  
Blogger kasamba said...

I was away and I almost missed this!!!!
Bonnie- you're the best!

4:05 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

bonnie I had to read them again, thats how much I liked them.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

socialworker/frustrated mom-- thank you. I am so glad you enjoyed them. I am enjoying your artwork. You're giving me the courage to perhaps post some of my own -- if I can figure out the technology to get them there-- in the future

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the first on is absolutely so erotic- I haven't been with a woman in a long time, but it made me think of things that I used to enjoy.

I shall not comment further on that one.

As to the Response poem to Marvell- that was really cool. I remember the The Passionate Shepherd, and Nymph's Reply, but I had never really envisioned doing it (replying to a poem....ehem) with Marvell. Thats a great idea and I really like some of the internal rhyme that you used. Very well done! A+ from this poetry teacher.

4:14 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Thanks and I am horrid at comp tech so don't ask me. I would love to see your artwork. Do you have any you can email?

5:43 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Amishav-- glad you liked th poems
Social worker/frustrated mom-- no I don't have any I can email you-- just on canvass (and it's not pretty)

6:06 PM  
Blogger ... Paige said...

I like them both~as is. I too have written of cake, am saving it as part of "my collection". lol
Thanks for commenting at my place.

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home