Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Match-making for socks

Finding one’s perfect mate is a torturous lifelong quest for what could be a single moment of happiness.

For many it has become an obsession as people lurk in bars and single’s clubs. For others it has been reduced to good old fashioned match-making where grandma tries to set you up "with a nice boy."

But for my socks, it has been hopeless.

Maybe my socks are sluty socks, thinking that if they ditch their partner I’ll just buy them a newer model with better elastic. Maybe they’re predator socks who like to off their partners or hide them inside the couch cushions (no kidding I once found about 30 socks inside my couch). Or more likely they are just adventurous and like to take long walks to other locals where they can live in solitude in someone else’s house.

I know I’ve found my share of illegal immigrant socks.

But in an effort to make my more respectable socks happy-- these are the ones left behind, the child socks, the ones too pretty for their own good and the religious socks--- I’ve decided to use my blog to find them mates.

I’ll sock it to you with some good old fashioned personal ads.

SW tube sock still fluffy on the inside seeks mate for long walks across the tile and occasional tumbles on the spin cycle. Must not go too far up the calf as this is unattractive. Down to earth and slightly slouchy.

DB dress sock only worn at weddings and job interviews seeks a true black mate. Navy blue need not apply. Must be thin and not overly religious (I don’t want someone who is "holy").

Do you like a little bling? Well I’ve got a gold toe for you. If you can cover up an ankle, I’d be happy to play twister with you in the sock drawer. Do you prefer to fold over or turn inside out in a little ball? No preferences here.

Slightly snagged knee high seeks anyone who won’t fall down on the job. Prefer sandal foot, but I’m not above settling for a reinforced toe.

White crew sock- skinny ribs on the inside fat on the outside, fold over ankle length seeks like kind for everyday wear. Durability a plus. No soiled toes or heels please. Warning: monogamous relationship is highly unlikely. You’ll look like everyone else in the sock drawer, and we like to swap partners. Some even live on the wild side, teaming up with mates that only slightly match my stature and ribbing.

Barbie’s got her Ken. Why out get fluffy in my Kenmore? The 20-minute extra care is the bomb. I’m a fuzzy blue slipper sock with all my tread in tack.

Let’s separate her toes and make them curl. Stripy Christmas toe sock with jiggle bells seeks anyone who will keep him out of the Goodwill bag.

Must love dogs. Holy, stained sock seeks mate for some tug-o-war fun.

Mate left me to become a sock monkey. Brown is O.K., but please no red toes (you just aren’t trust worthy.)

Child-sized socks, various colors seek anyone who remotely resembles them from a distance of 50 feet.

One Tinkerbelle sock lost her shadow-- now seeks Peter Pan, or Wendy for complete collection. Hooks need not apply.

Let’s get frisky in my Whirlpool. Must enjoy long dirty hikes in stinky boots. No quitters. Stains OK. No one will ever see you.

If interested in meeting, go to the local thrift store and ask for unwanted matchless socks. I’m sure someone (not me, I’d never do that) has donated them.

(previously published in the Paradise Post By BS-- or shall I say me)

32 Comments:

Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

You must read the childrens bood A Pair of Socks. Maybe I told you this already. I have to look up the author. Brilliant post I love your clever sense of humor.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Zephra said...

Now that is clever. Very cute. Thank you so much for your kind comments.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Babaloo said...

This is really funny! Personal Ads for socks, you kill me!
I hold on to mis-matched socks for 4-5 rounds of laundry and if their mate doesn't turn up I toss them out. Not very humane I know.

9:58 AM  
Blogger but Momma said...

So smart and funny, unlike me, who had to start over three times before I got it!

Every three months I get all my single socks together for a high pressure date night, go home with a mate or get shown the door!

Fun!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

SOcial worker/ frustrated mom--I will have to look up that book-- it sounds like a must read for me and my girls

zephra-- Thanks for stopping by. I loved your blog and will come again soon.

but momma-- hi and welcome to my blog Right now, I'm giving the kids a high pressure date witht he shower. As for their socks-- I'm sorry to report there is no saving them.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

Great post! Had me laughing and thinking of all the fun things to do with single socks! Hand puppets and other crafty projects, tres chic golf club covers, pooh, I can't think of any more right now! (Altho a friend gave me a whole box of single socks the last time I moved and they were GREAT for packing glasses and stuff!) :-)

9:18 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

kigomanager-- so happy to hear from you. Did you get the shoes?
Thanks for visiting.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Ashley Lasbury said...

What a great read! You are so clever! My two youngest, 4 and 8, love to wear mismatched socks. As long as this fashion trend continues, I never have to worry about matching!!!

Thanks for visiting my site!

5:13 AM  
Blogger kasamba said...

LOL! And I thought all single socks were in the Bermuda Triangle!

7:26 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

A Pair of Socks by Stuart J. Murphy who is the author of the book. You guys will love it. Go to amazon.com

7:47 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

social worker/ frustrated mom--I'll make it one of my first books for summer reading.

ashley-- only the little ones can get away with mismatched socks. I let my 4-year-old do it too. She sertainly expresses herself.

nicole-- I'll send mine to you for their first blind date.

kasamba-- Sometimes I feel lost in the Bermuda Triangle. Maybe next time I'll look for the mate my multi-colored toe separating sock with bells around the top-- or maybe I won't-- that one's a wild one.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

Oh! Ashley! You reminded me of a wonderful woman somewhere on the East Coast who hand-knits beautifully mis-matched socks from locally and organically grown yarns. The adults socks mis-match but in such a lovely way that they are just exquisite! And the children's socks come in packs of 3 which are called "A Pair With A Spare." Isn't that cute? I bought them for my 5 year old neice and she loves 'em! (And she's normally not the kind of kid who likes mis-matching.) I bet a google search for "pair with a spare" might bring up this woman's page. She's awesome!

Bonnie B - I haven't bought the shoes yet. You're so right that we should indulge when we find something so fantastic. I'm afraid I missed out now, because they were so popular I can't find them anymore. I learned my lesson. But today my sis and I are off to a new Portland store called Tootsies, which is a shoe store AND a place to get pedicures! They call it a "shoe salon." :-)

8:36 AM  
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

Sorry to be so verbose, Bonnie. :-)

The cool hand-knit sock lady's website is socklady.com. I met her son and daught-in-law at a gift show here in Portland and then corresponded with her via email to tell her how lovely I thought her products were. She couldn't be nicer. She's in Vermont. (I love people from Vermont!) :-)

8:41 AM  
Blogger the only way i know said...

the ocean stinks - it's where all the socks get to from the washing machine pipes!!
or at least that's what i once read in an article!
lol

8:46 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Kigomanager-- those socks sound fantastic-- I think I need some

The only way I know how-- you know you have a point. I'll bet Shamu's cousins have quite a sock collection

8:52 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Let me know how it is!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

This totally cracks me up! But I am starting think that something must be wrong with your socks if they can't hold on to mate...perhaps a call to Dr. Phill may be in order - I see an intervention coming...hehe

1:27 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

cheeky-- he-he-he-- Maybe Dr. Phill can give them better mating skills-- they should be multiplying instead of dying off.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

I think some socks purposely choose to leave their mate - they just get off on the wrong foot.

Thanks for visiting my sight!!! I'll be back.

9:08 PM  
Blogger sweatpantsmom said...

Great post.

I, too have some lonely socks here, but they are 'holier than thou.'

1:13 AM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

I LOVED this column. So funny. :) And true. Gosh, I got some slutty socks slurking around here too.

I wanna go to Tootsies in Portland. That sounds DIVINE. And my feet look like hell...I could use some new shoes and a pedi...

8:34 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

LOL! great post and i am now wondering if i have the same slutty socks...

4:03 AM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Sock it to me.

1:15 PM  
Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Hey, maybe my socks have been dating yours! Darn your slutty socks!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

psychotoddler-- I love your screen name-- thanks for visiting

7:10 AM  
Blogger Genendy said...

This one is so adorable! BTW, after feeling anxious every time I put in a pair of socks I liked in the wash - fretting over whether or not both will make it out - I finally started to either pin the pairs together, or put them in a small mesh bag and now I can breathe easy! (I don't do it with all the socks - no patience - just the ones I really like).

12:38 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

genendy-- a friend of mine told me to pin my socks together, but I hate to admit it-- I'm too lazy. I'd rather spend more time trying to mate them. Maybe I should start a dating service?

7:32 PM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

bonnie- we use[d to] sock sorters (which helped as long as you could keep track of them in your drawers..)

Prob. easily purchased at a Bed, Beth & Beyond or Linens 'n Things type store..not sure what you guys have there. Though I'm sure Target/Walmart have 'em too..)

Another thing my [smart] mom did was to but a second pair of the same sock pattern if it was unique, that way in the event one went awol, there was always a perfect match to mate with (granted it may be a little on the expensive side if done too often, but it saves having to throw out perfectly good single socks+a lot of heartache on school mornings..

g'luck or hey, let the kiddies go barefoot?

8:28 PM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

*buy

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home