Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I am one foxy mama

When you get to a certain age and the top half of your body starts to converse with your lower half, any amount of attention from the opposite sex is greatly appreciated. Heck it is revered as a symbol that “you’ve still got it.” If a train should strike your spouse dead, you won’t die surrounded by 40 cats.

I reached this age about eight years ago. In other words, when I was eight months pregnant, guys would still pump gas for me-- a week later with a kid in tow, I had suddenly become invisible. With three kids it is different because you can never be truly invisible with three little darlings around (though there are times I wish the floor would swallow me up). No, now I am like a communicable disease that must be avoided at all costs-- which reminds me I need to up my husband’s life insurance.

Things were different last week though. I was a new woman, a kid-less foxy lady dressed in stripped shirt, velour grey “yoga” pants and a zip jacket (also known as the hip six month expecting mom outfit as I realized at the end of this story). But for now, it is 4 a.m. on the day of my flight to Texas. I had stayed up all night because I was afraid if I went to sleep I’d be too tired to drive (ignore the logic and just go with me). I’m bedraggled. My hair is a mess of curly knots and I’ve yet to “put my face on.” Plus, I’m carrying a big pillow, a blanket, a hardbound copy of Harry Potter and a carry-on bag. There is no way I am sexy or cute. Actually I wasn’t even thinking about it (obviously). I just wanted to catch my plane.

So as I wandered through the Sacramento airport, this security guard came up to me and said “You’re standing in the wrong line.” Then he pointed to a line that I doubt NASA could see the end of.

“Hey, don’t worry about. I’ve got you covered. Come with me and pretend you are her daughter,” he said, pointing to a little old lady in a wheelchair.

Then he helped me with my bags and chit-chatted with me in the elevator about my travel plans.

“Have a nice trip you foxy mama,” he said as I walked away.

I blushed. Wow! I do still have it, and then because he used the term mama, I looked in the mirror.

Did he think I was pregnant?

I looked around and saw two pregnant ladies dressed in similar outfits. What the heck was this some sort of bump in my tummy uniform!

I went from foxy to horrified in two point three seconds. I called my mother.

“Do I look pregnant?” I asked her.

“ARE you?” she said.

“Heavens no,” I said.

“Well then of course not,” she said.

“Yes, well this guy just called me a foxy mama,” I said.

“That is an expression,” she said.

“No body uses it,” I said. “And he let me use the elevator with a lady in a wheel chair.”

“Maybe he wanted to talk to you,” she said. “Maybe he was just being nice.”

I left it at that decided I’d rehire my personal trainer when I get home. I’m wearing a bikini this summer even if it’s not in Mexico (because I only dress like that on vacation and Mexico is the only place hubby will take me-- except for Las Vegas because he likes the girls--- argh!).

OK so I had settled on the fact that I was a dumpy old mother when the garbage man waved at me. Oh you back of the truck riding man-- thank you for giving this woman some hope. I could be a garbage man’s wife should a train strike my husband dead.

Later at a department store, a male clerk walked over from the accessories department and wanted to show me some of his. I told him I wasn’t interested and asked if he could direct me to the children’s department. I stepped back three feet like I carried the plague and told me it was on the bottom floor. I should have known this. One rule in the retail business is that all children, queen-sized women and pregnant women must be kept out of sight, so those departments are either in the basement or on the top floor next to gift wrap.

Things only got better when I got home. I swung into the gas station and the clerk smiled at me and asked me about my trip-- I know it’s got to be because I looked HOT in my blue jeans and pink sweater after 10 hours of traveling. I couldn’t have been because he was just a nice guy-- hey I’ll take it whenever I can.

14 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

hey.. foxy mama... welcome home

what did you buy?

9:23 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I'd settle for anything that's preceded by the word "foxy." Foxy slob, foxy whale, foxy hag...yeah, I'm desperate.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Pamela-- I bought stuff for the kids and for my husband-- nothing for me (what a bummer!)My parents bought me a red cardigan. I wanted to shop. I did, but I'm out of practice. Plus, it is darn right depressing to go shopping with my parents who can buy whatever they want and don't quite understand why the rest of us can't do the same. I probably used to do the same when I lived at home.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Sandy-- I'm with you-- you foxy blogger

7:23 AM  
Blogger wayabetty said...

Hey, don't sell yourself short Bonnie!! I'd take what I can too, with this 4th pregnancy, I'm round much faster since everything has already been stretched to its limit. My dear hubbie thinks I'm "hot" and that's all I care for now.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

You are a HOT MAMA - and don't let anyone tell you different!!!!!

What a nice little ego boost anyway. I never get called that EVER.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Sara with NO H said...

I was at the airport and I shoved my stomach out trying to get in the line thinking someone would think I was pregnant but I think I really just ended up looking mental instead. My oppinion if he thought you were pregnant he wouldn't have said to pretend you were that lady's daughter...no? In any case, if you can pull of a bikini, you're far from looking fat. I bet you look amazing. I have to agree with Sandy. Be happy he said foxy. I'll take that over ma'am any day.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

YOU are foxy, and I know you in real life. And i have NEVEr been called foxy, so you're way way ahead of me. i am sure that airport guy was trying to pick you up, I'm sure of it...

7:26 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Wooooooooo good for you! Welcome back.

5:13 AM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

waya-- My hubbie better think I'm hot-- stnading next to him how could I not be? He sets the world on fire

karmyn-- you foxy bloggerchick

Sara-- no bikinis today or for a while-- I've been lax on the working out lately, but soon-- soon I'm going to Mexico and look for Jose ;)

Jodi-- no, YOU are foxy and I've seen you in real llife and I miss you

Social worker-- glad to be back!

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pictures, Pictures, PICTURES! What a thrilling thing to have happen to you. I can't tell you how long its been since I felt like a woman was really attracted to me. Enjoy every minute of it!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Yeah. I don't think anyone would call me "foxy" anything.

You go you foxy mama.

8:12 PM  
Blogger A Heimishe said...

To travel alone is not fun and neither is raising 3 kids (by your self) but seeing those happy faces on the kids, seeing them come home from school makes it all worthed. And don't forget, there are people who would love to be in your situation.

9:54 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

LOL!
You will always 'have it'!

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home