Of Socks and Men

Laundry, duck hunting/firefighting absent husband, three little girls and no dogs in sight Slightly neurotic and completely at my witts end--- wife, mother, dreamer lost in her 30-somethings

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paradise

I'm a 35-year-old mother of three who has a million dreams to dream -- and three children to carry out the ones she doesn't get around to. My husband is a firefighter and an obsessed duck hunter, so I'm pretty much a single mother, trying to juggle my life around duck season and fire season.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Quick Update

For the moment I am still in Paradise-- though judging from all the smoke it feels like we're scratching at the armpit of hell (OK not such a pretty image, but this isn't pretty).

Smoke wakes me up at 5:30 a.m every morning. The air is brown and thick with ashes falling like rain. My youngest carries an umbrella whenever we go outside.


A fire is burning a couple miles from our house. We aren't in danger-- yet-- but if the fire makes a run tomorrow I'm out of here. My mother-in-law is afraid the fire will make a run toward her house and calls me with "fire updates" every couple of hours. I think she wants to just evacuate and get it over.

Today I considered granting her wish because I knew she was really worried and needed support. She kept asking if she should just pack everyone up and come to my house. I wish I'd been a better daughter-in-law and said come over, but the thought of five adults (my mother-in-law, he mother and her neighbor), three kids and some crazy number of pets just made me nervous. I thought maybe we could all go to Butte Meadows. My parents have a cabin in that small mountain community and to me it's "sanctuary." It's smoky there, but at least a fire isn't breathing down our necks-- or so I thought. No, I turned on the news and learned Cal-Fire had just evacuated Butte Meadows.

I wished I could call my husband, but all I get is the "Verizon" lady.

My husband is on the front lines in Fall River Mills-- though I suspect he's really in a town called Cassel and doesn't want to tell me. Cassel is located near Fall River Mills, but he knows it would break my heart if I knew the little town was on fire. He forgets I can learn all these nasty details on the news. I learned to fly fish on Hat Creek in Cassel. It's just a special place to me.

This series of fires worries me. My husband has only slept four hours since Friday because there aren't enough firefighters to fight these fires. I know that as other fires get under control, more help will come-- but it's just so dangerous. I don't understand how he can go on the way he does without any sleep. I guess it's just that special firefighter training.

More lightning is coming on Thursday. I just don't know what this state will do. We don't have the resources or manpower to fight this mess.
I know everything will work out in the end that's what my husband keeps saying in our short 15-second conversations -- those rare moments when he moves his crew to another location and can manage a short call.
It's just, "Hi, I'm alive. Just wanted to hear your voice. Love you, Bye."

"Love you."

6 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

On Bonnie, how scary. I don't know what to say!

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bonnie i know we have not spoken in a while, please know that i have not stopped thinking about you and the girls. parker knows about the fires and has asked if you are safe! he wants to know why you just cant come here. in a perfect world i wish you would. i am sorry i have not been a better friend. but that has not stopped me from praying for your girls,husband and you. you are an amazing woman of strength, i'm sorry we didnt get a chance to be closer friends.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

Oh sweetie! Is everything okay? My sister evacuated from Magalia today. I am glad. My mom left with my boys on Tuesday & I was glad. It's a scary scary time! Take care of yourself. And let me know how things are going?

8:21 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

This is one scary situation. I appreciate all your concern.
Stephanie-- I didn't know you were Stephanie from Texas-- email me (bsitter2@hotmail.com) and give Parker hugs from the family. I'd come out to Texas, but I have a cat and dog to deal with. I am thinking about traveling to Utah and handing the cat off to my brother. I'll board the dog. Maybe I'll make it to Texas. It's just so miserable hot there-- and expensive as my mom is quite the shopper.

Pollyanna-- I may leave tomorrow. The smoke is incredible. I'll keep you all posted for as long as I can. I have a laptop, so if I'm in a wireless area, I'll update after I leave.

Heather-- You've always been so supportive. I hope all is well with your family-- and that adorable new baby

10:55 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I better call my brother -- who lives just off clark road.

I can't imagine your husband being able to think clearly on so little sleep. Prayers for him!

5:42 PM  
Blogger ;iulu said...

'Armpit of hell'. That puts it in raw perspective for those of us on the other side of the US.. Saw an article about the fire in our little town paper, thought of you guys and offered up some prayers. Hope you all get to a place of sanctuary (whether you need to move or not..it may be a good break); one where you can settle down, think straight and finally breathe easy. Hope hubby gets some new recruits and rest too.
Be well, stay safe.

-flör 'n sJ

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home